Revelations review by Audioslave

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Audioslave: Revelations

I've been aware of Audioslave's existence for a while now, but only recently decided to cough up the 30 bucks for one of their albums. I have to say I've loved their music since 'Cochise' first hit the airwaves, and on top of that have thoroughly enjoyed Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine's music for longer! Because Audioslave is 3/4 Rage and 1/4 'Garden, the only obvious difference is going to be the vocals of Chris Cornell, and he has a very soulful voice, as opposed to Zack's aggressive rap, and Chris uses his voice extremely well on 'Revelations'. Tom's guitaring is just as good as anything else you're likely to hear, as is Brad's drumming and Tim's bass playing, all very funky. One thing I noticed about 'Revelations', and I'm not sure if it's the same as other 'Slave records, but the songs seem to be very light on guitars, especially through the verses, and the lead single 'Original Fire' is a good example of this. This means that you can hear the bass really well, and, as a bass player, that's what I like!

Chris Cornell's lyrical style is excellent, to say the least, and has matured a lot since his days in the 'Garden. Not only can he write catchy rock tunes ('Original Fire', 'Somedays', 'Revelations') he can also write meaningful, politically-themed songs (much to Tom Morello's pleasure, I'll bet). 'Wide Awake' is a good example of this, this song tells of the Hurricane Katrina disaster and the Bush government's inability to act swiftly in regards to getting aid to people that needed it. This song, in particular, displays Cornell's vocal talents well, his voice really gets emotional, for want of a better word, in this song! Great stuff.

Overall, I'm very glad I bought this album. A great introduction to Audioslave's work for anyone that wants it! I'll definitely be buying their other two albums. Personally, the most impressive song on the album was 'Revelations', plainly because it's catchy from the word go, and, being the title track and the album opener, that's what you want. If it got stolen, I'd replace it without a blink of the eye. A brilliant album all around, from four brilliant musical talents. It's a shame that Audioslave are no longer together, as I feel they had a good thing going. Great album.

RageFan1900
    I really like this album. When I first listened to it, it hit me hard, but now it's still great, but lacks the power of older tracks like "Set It Off" or "Your Time Has Come."