Revelations review by Audioslave

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Audioslave: Revelations

Not quite as heavy as their first two albums, but Audioslave did take a nice direction with their 3rd release Revelations. The album sure gives some funky more bass heavy songs on here, and some more soulful tunes. Tom Morello still shows off his ability as an excellent guitar player, but with a tendency to over use effects. A little more than half way into the album I recall saying "okay I get it, you have a whammy pedal" but there are some solo's where he shreds it up "Shape of things to come" for example. there's definitely a variety of material Revelations, the softer song "Until we fall", the simple but rockin' soulful tune "Original Fire" and the heavier Funkier songs "Jewel of the summer time" & "Moth."

Chris Cornell is as good as ever on this album, he may not be belting it out as loud as the Soundgarden days but he's still one of the best singers around today. There's more soulful songs on this album as Chris Sings of love, pain, his influences, his past addictions, and even hurricane Katrina which is reference in the bands first political song "Wide Awake."

They bring a bit of funkiness to the mix this time which I enjoyed but overall Revelations is the weakest Audioslave's 3 albums. My favorite tracks on the album are "Shape of Things to Come" "Moth" "Jewel of the Summer Time" and the title track. I'd say the low points on the album are probably "Nothing left to say but goodbye" and "Original Fire" they're fairly catchy you might catch yourself singing them, but I don't think it's their best work. If this was lost or stolen I'd probably buy it again, but I might buy some Soundgarden albums first. Overall a pretty good album, not their best but I wish the band hadn't broken up and were touring for this album.

Cobalt Blue
    to Bass.Parade, I definitely noticed the similarities between Shape of things to come and Spoonman right away. but i don't think sound of a gun is that much like show me how to live, it seems like a generic Audioslave song though.