Constellations review by August Burns Red

• Released: Jul 14, 2009
August Burns Red: Constellations

Two years after the release of "Messengers", metalcore kings August Burns Red are back with their highly anticipated third album, entitled "Constellations". And while the band's sound hasn't evolved all much from "Messengers", their new album is just as heavy, with just as many crazy riffs and breakdowns as ever. Somehow, the band's musicianship has gotten even better. Matt Greiner's drums are as flawless as ever, proving he can easily keep up with other progressive metal bands like Between The Buried And Me (with Tommy Rogers making a guest appearance on the track "Indonesia"). Meanwhile, guitarists Brent Rambler and JB Brubaker definately give their best performances yet, with some of the craziest riffs, and even guitar solos, in the band's history. Each track stands out on its own as an amazing piece of music, though the band truly shines on tracks like Marianas Trench (though some listeners may find that the first minute or so sounds a bit too much like My Curse by Killswitch Engage), The Escape Artist, Rationalist and the closing track, Crusades. "Constellations" really does remind you of why August Burns Red are at the forefront of the Christian Metalcore scene.

"Constellations" is Jake Luhrs' second album with the band, and his lyrics are the same as always. While on some songs he may not utilize his vocal range as much as he could, the lyrics themselves fit perfectly with the songs and can be interpreted in any way by the listener. Also, the band's religious beliefs are slowly beginning to become more evident with every release, especially on this album's almost-intrumental "Meridian", which, although it is a good track with some great riffs, seems a bit drawn out at 6 minutes. In any case, the lyrics and singing may not have evolved all that much, but it isn't anything that won't please metalheads and fans of the band.

What August Burns Red have done with "Constellations" is not evolve their sound, but refine it, similar to what Metallica did with "Master of Puppets" as opposed to "Ride The Lightning". They didn't change their sound, they took what they knew worked well and made it even better. Fans of the band should be pleased with another 45-minute dose of drop C breakdowns and double-bass kicks. "Constellations" is truly a great album, and while some may not find is as good as "Messengers", it is certainly its equal as well as being a shoe-in for becoming one of the best metal albums of 2009.

Veil Of Osiris
    Constellations is awesome. It seemed more melodic then their previous releases, maybe thats just me though.
    Amuro Jay
    I love how they're actually writing more lead guitar lines and solos. This bans just keeps getting better and better.
    theoldwizard
    Opethheir wrote: Am I the only person that thought that this album is a bit shit? Thrill Seeker was ****ing awesome, Messengers was just as good but Constellations seems like they've run out of ideas. Existence is a killer track but I thought that pretty much every track after that was a bit samey and boring. God I'm gonna get some stick for this...
    Nah dude, you just got to let it grow on you a bit..it's been out less than 24 hours so far.. at 1st it didn't blow me away, but the more I listen the more I'm liking Constellations.
    Alpha_Wolf
    I'll be buying it before the end of the week. Looks like it's going to be pretty good.
    AtomicPunk7
    kellen.dobmeier wrote: This is instrumentally, vocally, and compositionally superior to anything they've ever written and released.
    This.
    Bassist718
    Got it this morning and I am not disappointed. I loved Messengers but I think that Constellations is better. They have grown musically and always have great breakdowns. My two favorites have to be White Washed and The Escape Artist, but I've only had this album for a short time so that may change soon, lol. Great job ABR!
    XenititesX
    does anyone else know that tommy rogers of between the buried and me guest stars on indonesia? fav song by far.
    BackSeatSuicide
    This album is definitely amazing. Songs like "Marianas Trench" show how multifaceted these guys truly are. I didn't think they could top Messengers but they did and the result is simply amazing. This album is by far my favorite album from '09 so far. This album definitely is going to stay on repeat on my iPod for awhile !
    kellen.dobmeier
    People don't like this album? How in the hell does that work? This is instrumentally, vocally, and compositionally superior to anything they've ever written and released.
    catalyst329
    I pre-ordered it but it didnt come in the mail today and so far from wat ive heard it sounds better than any of there other stuff, im stoked
    jakewynnrocks
    i see them this thursday!!! the new album is phoenominal, ive only heard it on myspace but ill definately be buying it...
    justinb904
    Definitely more of a melodic sound in there. Much better than what I was expecting.
    BWenz7
    Xdannysterx wrote: Yea I just checked it out on myspace its definitely more melodic.
    I haven't listened to it yet, but I like what I'm hearing here. I always thought they could've added a bit more melody, as they're usually always on the more tech side.
    cheeser
    damn this band is awesome! i love the songs marianas trench and rationalist.
    k00_b33ns
    August burns red never EVER EVER!!! fail to amaze me. They are one of the greatest bands walking on this green earth.
    murph6423
    Phenomenal cd. I thought messengers was an amazing cd, but constellations blows it away in my opinion.
    Opethheir