Leveler review by August Burns Red

• Released: Jun 21, 2011
August Burns Red: Leveler

After a #24 album on the Billboard Top 200, a relentless touring schedule, and a live album, August Burns Red finally releases their new full-length entitled "Leveler". They are one of the leading metalcore bands in the genre nowadays and their newest album doesn't show any waning of that leadership. On their last albums, I was very impressed by both "Messengers" and "Constellations". I liked the sounds of both albums, but none of the two reflected the sound of the other. "Leveler" is the savior. This record beautifully blends the progressiveness of "Constellations" and the brutal, odd-meter riffs of "Messengers", all along with its own new flavor mixed in (and maybe a bit of "Thrill Seeker"). The music is everything ABR fans have been waiting for. At least the ones who didn't favor one album over the other. Talking about the instruments, everything is crystal clear. JB's leads break through, and Brent's rhythm backs them up well. I definitely LOVE their now-frequent guitar solos. It is a great step-up being able to combine sick solos and heavy metalcore riffage. What I'm most excited about though is that I can finally hear the bass. As a bassist, I like hearing it on any record, but in metalcore, the bassist is usually given the slip and you can hardly hear any of them in the mix. The drums are also magnificent, but the sound of them is not everything. Matt shines even brighter on this record as one of the best drummers out there in modern music. Everything about his playability is just breath-taking. Now I'm going to go down the songs one by one: 01. "Empire" - Starts off with a fade-in feedback sound, unlike the last two albums where the guitarists just played a huge drop C chord. A solid song with a sweet solo, but sadly not much of a breakdown. 02. "Internal Cannon" - Awesome song. Starts off pounding at your head right away and then transitions to a heart-stopping, classic ABR off-meter breakdown. One of my favorites by them now. Then in the middle of the song, it goes into a very odd salsa-esque acoustic solo which is very cool and got good feedback from fans dubbing it "Salsacore". It then goes back to electric guitars, as JB plays a magnificent distorted salsa solo. 03. "Divisions" - Starts with another feedback fade-in, but Matt's drums quickly break the feedback and he starts the song. A fast, brutal song with great drumming, but halfway through it goes a little slower with a great solo and ending. 04. "Cutting The Ties" - Starts off with a tasty riff and goes into a quick, "White Washed" like intro, but quickly gets faster. There's some great drumming in this song also. It's pretty much a "Leveler" song with a "Constellations" influence. There's also a sick breakdown at the end but then the song kind of ends with a positive sounding chord progression. 05. "Pangaea" - The intro to this song keeps me hooked. I kept listening and it turns out to be a pretty solid song. Cool guitar work and SICK solo. Definitely listen to this solo. 06. "Carpe Diem" - This is the longest song on the album and it starts off a little slow with an eerie guitar duet. There's a cool, slow middle section with another eerie solo. The overall composition reminds me a bit of "Meridians". Dustin's (bassist) vocals are clearly heard in this one. They're a little squeaky but other than that, it is a good, epic song with a slight progressiveness. 07. "40 Nights" - Starts off heavy right away. Very "Messengers"-esque. Nice heavy riffs, the bass is clear, and there's some awesome licks thrown in there. I definitely like this one a lot. 08. "Salt & Light" - Another heavier song, but with a more normal chord progression at the start. It is also Great breakdowns, solos, and licks are littered (in a good way) all over this song. Awesome middle section. Beautiful song. 09. "Poor Millionaire" - On their website, ABR said that this is one of their most heavy songs to date. I agree. The drum solo at the start sounds like the start of the Matt Greiner drum solo YouTube video that was taken during the AP Tour. And then the guitars kick in. This is an unforgiving mix of heavy riffage, plenty of bass, and sick drumming. Jake's vocals are also nice and full on this song particularly. Sick breakdown at the end with Jake growling, "Coward!" 10. "1/16/2011" - A simple interlude song with some a beautiful solo and backing guitar. 11. "Boys Of Fall" - An awesome song that starts out brutal right away. Also includes the lyric "Where do we go to escape the end of the world?" which was on their website for a while. Leads into an awesome solo and a great breakdown. Great song for any August Burns Red fan. 12. "Leveler" - Here it is. The title track at the end of the album. It starts with an absolutely sick drum fill that might be able to beat the fill at the start of "The Eleventh Hour". As the last song AND the title track, I was expecting this song to be the epic, heavy ending, and it was. A great way to end an album. For those of you with the deluxe edition: 13. "Internal Cannon (Acoustic)" - Simply an acoustic version of "Internal Cannon". There's no vocals, but it is an awesome, soothing instrumental. 14. "Pangaea (Perf. By Bells)" - Bells is an instrumental band the that ABR's original vocalist, Jon Hershey (Looks Fragile After All) formed after he left ABR. They make an absolutely beautiful and almost unrecognizable version of "Pangaea". Another good instrumental. 15. "Boys Of Fall (Perf. By Zachary Veilleux)" - This is a piano version of "Boys Of Fall". It is ANOTHER great instrumental. I don't know where ABR got the idea to add instrumentals performed by other artists, but it was a great one. 16. "Empire (MIDI)" - As Jake Luhrs said, this is the totally stripped version of a song before anything gets recorded. This is what all the instrument players would play to until enough tracks had been recorded to play with. Pretty cool. I'm gonna give it the same score as the real "Empire" song.

Being a christian band, August Burns Red wrote positive lyrics and lyrics about christian things. Sometimes the lyrics can still get to you when they're emotional enough. They also have some powerful meaning behind them. The lyrics fit well with the music also. Going on to Jake's screams though, they were magnificent. I think this is the best vocal record that Jake has recorded so far. His vocals don't sound processed anymore, they sound natural. Like how they do at shows. Most of the tracks also sound like most of the time there's only on vocal track going. His highs sound like how he does at a show and so do his lows. Listen to the "Home" album and you'll see. Brilliant job, Jake.

This is a fantastic record. In my opinion, the best by ABR yet. All the variety of tones, sounds and vocals are just perfect for me. The name of the album even sounds powerful in some way. I had only heard the title and I was sure it was going to be a great album. I was right. I don't know if you'll be satisfied, but I sure was. I was impressed by everything, the solos, the drums, the bass, and the vocals. I also LOVED the instrumental versions of "Pangaea" and "Boys Of Fall". The most impressive songs off the album for me were "Internal Cannon", "40 Nights", "Boys Of Fall", and the title track. I love everything and I hate nothing about this album. If I lost it, I'd definitely get a replacement. I guarantee if you buy this album, you'll love it.

EpiExplorer
    Whether or not the term "posi-popmoshcore" existed before now remains a mystery.
    Love ya, babes.
    sonicx2218
    I actually am enjoying this more than I previously thought, gave it a good run through. It's a pretty sick album
    Zelos45
    This album is great. Definitely just as good as the last two, and I'm enjoying the softer side of ABR, with stuff like Internal Cannon.
    pol315
    I got VERY bored with the previous ABR albums, but this one actually grabbed my attention. So far I'm enjoying it much more than the other ones.
    sonicx2218
    ABR is one of the better metalcore bands, but they seem to be running out of material with this one. Think they needa try something just a little dif with their sound. It's still a good album, but it's sorta like, i've heard it b4
    DamagingExcess
    I_slit_throats wrote: I totally love this album, and thank god for the tone change after Constellations, I mean Constellations was all trebble and mids, they finally put some bass and 808's in there. But this album is sick, I think it brings old and new flawlessly together. Poor Millionaire is the best song by far, not Internal Cannon ha. The only songs that I can live without are Carpe Diem (to slow and boring, but I do love Dustin's vocals) Salt and Light (its super good until the ridiculously sounding gang vocal at the end that kills it) and Pangea (JB and Brent just wanted to be show offs). But this album is better than Constellations, but of course wont topp Messengers. BUY IT
    To me constellations was absolutely amazing and 10x better then Messengers. But Messengers is still ****ing amazing. This album, I haven't really listened to much of leveler
    ProgJazzMath
    I love ABR, but I do think they are running out of riff ideas. I think they should try and switch it up a little bit just to rejuvenate their sound, I love em to death though!
    I_slit_throats
    and thank god that ABR brought back the breakdown, it seems like they forgot what a breakdown was on Constellations.
    I_slit_throats
    llama_guitarist wrote: Am I the only one that didn't like the over-compressed, no-dynamic sound of Messengers?
    yepp. I mean the heaviness of the production was so bad ass but the material itself isn't as diverse and unique as the new material, so they should combine them both!
    Jon777
    I listened to Internal Cannon a while back and it was pretty good. I liked Constellations as well, so I'll be sure to check this out.
    justinb904
    A solid offering. Not as good as I hoped; then again I had very high hopes.
    WARLOCK123 wrote: Listening to it now, thus far it sounds good but in all honesty I agree with the statement that they're in between the old and the new. Some parts show a real progression for the band but others sound all too similar to previous releases. Production really lets this album down, as with Constellations, something I really hope they resolve with their next album.
    Same here. I was rather disappointed with how the lead guitars were mixed. I had to make an effort to hear the more detailed playing of the lead guitars in many parts.
    WARLOCK123
    DecadenceBeyond
    Good review. I really do like this album but it isnt as heavy as messengers or Thrill Seeker, which im not too fond of. But as far as the writing goes, it is a really well put together album
    Etidlover
    I gotta say I'm pretty desappointed by this album in comparison to Messengers and Constellations which were trully some magnificient piece of works. Well, it's a decent album, but nothing more unfortunatly.
    PatrickChampoux
    I'm listening to this album right now and so far in my opinion this is a great album! Worth buying for sure!
    Reages
    pangaea is the best song of the album, the riffs are amazing O_o