Messengers review by August Burns Red

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
August Burns Red: Messengers

The sound has evolved greatly from their previous work, the first thing catching my ear being the new voice. Although Jake's voice is clearer and the way he growls the lyrics are easier to understand, I still prefer Josh's voice. In my opinion his vocals were harsher and flowed amazingly well with both guitars (not that Jake's vocal talent is bad, or anything). New sound, new voice I guess. The intro to "Truth Of A Liar" just blew me away, the energy around the sound being over the roof. Breakdowns were killer throughout the whole album, harmony was great as always in their repertoire. Melodies were somewhat catchier in "Thrill Seeker" in my opinion, but they lacked the intensity that the tracks of "Messengers" unleash on the listener. The lads have grown, it's unquestionable and thank God they haven't gone downhill after their throbbing first full release.

Everyone in the band had a say in this album, hence the title "Messengers". Comparing to "Thrill Seeker", it's obviously written both musically and most of all lyrically from the perspective of all the members of the band. I've been fond of their lyrics, be it by Jon, Josh or Jake and the crew. IMHO, combining a musically strong band that's musically intense with lyrics 'for the heart and spirit' makes a band great. Hearing Jake scream his soul out into the mike in "Redemption" about humility, mercy and admittance of sin made my skin crawl, literally. It's really hard to explain the huge message the whole album hurls at you with immense force; you just have to listen to it for yourself and make your own conclusions. "Be my strength. Be my voice. Be my glory. Set me free."

When I first listened to the album, I barely remembered any melody, breakdowns, or just any catchy riff. Apart from the intro of "Truth Of A Liar", comparing to "Thrill Seeker", my first impression was "Eh, ok." However, I was greatly surprised when I listened to the album again, concentrating on it thoroughly. I was simply blown away. From the powerful, aggressive intro riff of "Truth Of A Liar" to the soft, but spectacular (in my opinion) finale of "Redemption", August Burns Red did not leave me a single though of regret for the price I payed for the album. I'd rate this 11+ if there was a possibility. My favorite has to be "Redemption". That song literally made my day, both lyrically and melodically. The Christian thematic around the lyrics wraps up an epic epilogue to and epic album. Dare I say this is a '07 masterpiece; moreover, one of the best metalcore releases of all time. I simply can't wait for their next release, which I'm sure will not be worse than their previous full realeases.

DanielABR
    I'm not sure which album I like better, Thrill Seeker and Messengers are both better in their own way. Regardless, ABR is just an amazingly talented band that will be on the top of my list until I'm 90 and start losing my memory. Redemption, awesome song. And xheartcorex, the message of it made my skin crawl as well. It seems to me that there are some similar traits between Seventh Trumpet and Redemption, as far as the message goes, which is cool. But yeah, the lyrics are great in all of their songs and the sound is just breath-taking.
    qandme
    KillCaustic wrote: This CD will change lives.
    im sorry but no. this cd will not change lives i personally think that abr has progressed greatly since their first album and i do like both of these albums they do what they do well... this will probably make alot of people angry but also they are not musically talented if we are actually talking about music.they are a good hardcore/metal band i love hardcore and metal but they are not meant to be musically amazing. all i am saying is this band is good at what they do but do not give them too much credit! and the only hardcore band that has ever changed lives is converge hahas
    xheartcorex
    @DanielABR, "It seems to me that there are some similar traits between Seventh Trumpet and Redemption, as far as the message goes" - You took the words right out of my mouth. They ended both albums with spectacular epilogues, both musically and lyrically. The part where Josh (in "The Seventh Trumpet" says "I am now convinced that this is the end. As I raise my head towards the heavens to take one last look at the moon, the stars begin to fall. " The bolded part is the part where he whispers; which sends shivers all inside me every single time I listen to this song. It's flawless.
    shanawane9109
    wow is all i have to say about this cd. i got it a week after seeing them live and there is no difference in their live performance and their cd's except its so much crazier live. they have got to be the best band i think ive ever heard in my life i definitely recommend this for any fans of metal/metalcore/hardcore
    shanawane9109
    xheartcorex wrote: @DanielABR, "It seems to me that there are some similar traits between Seventh Trumpet and Redemption, as far as the message goes" - You took the words right out of my mouth. They ended both albums with spectacular epilogues, both musically and lyrically. The part where Josh (in "The Seventh Trumpet" says "I am now convinced that this is the end. As I raise my head towards the heavens to take one last look at the moon, the stars begin to fall." The bolded part is the part where he whispers; which sends shivers all inside me every single time I listen to this song. It's flawless.
    dude you gotta be good with music to be able to write all the off-time breakdowns and riffs they write you cant even say they arent good musicians
    DanielABR
    lol, same here that song is just amazing. =)