Thrill Seeker review by August Burns Red

• Released: Nov 8, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
August Burns Red: Thrill Seeker

The sound of this band is total chaos kind of like Norma Jean but to a lesser degree. There isn't much melody that I can pick out but that doesn't mean other people don't hear it as well. The guitars and the vocals sound the same which sounds wierd but they interlock quite well. Bass is not even recognizable and the way these songs are formatted make ABR just one huge jumbled up chaotic heavy metal armageddon.

They got a new singer for their second album Messengers and I prefer him as a matter of fact because hihs voice is a little lower in pitch and you can understand him better. The singer on this album just screams and screams and screams his lungs out on every track. He actually quit the band during a tour where I was going to see them with some other bands but the replacement just walked around stage looking pissed. The singing on this album wasn't great. The lyrics were not even discernable.

Norma Jean and The Chariot are the only other bands I can think of that even come close to sounding like ABR. When you listen to ABR, the things you want to do are: Beat Someone Up, Impound A Car, Drink A Lot Of Monster, Destroy Your Room. I recommend caution toward attempting to purchase this CD. I like Speach Impediment and Barbarian but that's it.

THEhardcoreSIHT
    your a ****in retard, this cd is very well done and almost every song is good even if they sound sort of similar, and mainly the fact is that there not Death/Black metal, its called metalcore
    googlyeye
    well, i will admit, when i listen to these guys, i do feel like breaking a bunch of shit, but they're a ****ing amazing band.
    AugusTBurnShred
    BLACK METAL, DOOM METAL ! GET THE FUCK OUT !!!!! HAHAH, NEVER EVER REVIEW ANOTHER CD PLEASE !! THIS WAS A HUGE PILE OF BULLSHIT !
    DanielABR
    N@TE! wrote: yeah terrable reveiw... ABR, in my eyes, have really inspired me musically especially with their new album, ive made it a goal to learn every song, and thats not gonna be nearly as easy as many other albums out there like people have said, its metal core, not death metal or anything like that its very different also, i have found ABR has more melodic riffs than most other metal bands, any kind of metal ABR is the best and are truely going somewhere new with their music, it inspires me, and it is brilliant. learn to listen, then learn to write a good reveiw.
    yeah dude exactly. The melodic riffs and inspirational lyrics are awesome. Most (or all) of their lyrics tell you how to deal with what life throws at you, and they often have a religious aspect to them, truely inspirational.
    N@TE!
    got_trivium?
    i think a good example of how much you know about this type of music is what genres you have this band labeled as. "Death Metal/Black Metal, Doom Metal" really? i'd hate to think what genres you think cannibal corpse, JFAC, behemoth, emperor, etc. are.
    DanielABR
    yeah no offense aenimafist, but there is much more to the Thrill Seeker album than what you give it credit for. A Shot Below the Belt has an awesome intro and is just an overall great song. And yes, Speech Impediment and Barbarian get stuck in my head too lol. But lets not forget about The Seventh Trumpet or Your Little Suburbia is in Ruins. Suburbia, great riffs; Seventh Trumpet, long song but enjoyable all the way through.
    DoomxGuy
    ok seriously aneminafist you're 14 wtf would you know about music of this genre i think you need to give bands of similar genre a listen and see that august burns red are good at what they do i have to say sometimes it gets a bit repetitive but i enjoy it all the same grow a little in your music tastes before reveiwing bands/albums oh and is their new album good?... i havent had a chance to listen to it yet =(
    xheartcorex
    ABR is what keeps metalcore from suffering the fate of nu-metal. ABR is amazing and saying they're pure chaotic without technique classifies you as an idiot, reviewer.
    ericonline15
    dude WTF this is the worst review ive ever read. i should kick your grandmother in the head abr's technical heavy metal style is something to behold, my friends. and messengers is even better than this album. but seriously, choke and die for writing this and listen to whatever shitty music you like, august burns red owns. and i like their flip flops
    flaccid james
    biased review..nothing like norma jean or the chariot.. these guys are uber technical.. and probably younger than you
    chris_122
    There are plenty of memorable parts from this album. Especially, on Speech Impediment and Barbarian to name a couple. The opening intro on track 2 has a great epic build-up, with a catchy, simple lead riff. Also, the solo in track 5, holy crap, it gets stuck in my head whenever I start to think about it. Just my opinion, and this review was not very good, as well.
    boyan89
    the review sucks! what the hell are you talking about honestly! your reviewing the album not the band...
    got_trivium?
    aenimafist wrote: If you cant remember it later then it is not melodic. Whether or not something is melodic depends fully on the abillity of the listener to be able to sing or recall the music they heard awhila ago. I can do it quite well if I listen to something melodic. ABR is tough to remember.
    that is not what a melody. sure that's what some melodies do for people, but if thats what you defining a melody as, you need to get yourself to a music theory class and learn.
    mikewilson
    Terrible review. Please listen to the album first and actually pay attention to what your listening to, because you obviously missed all of melodies, harmonies and everything else this album has to offer. August Burns Red is nothing like Norma Jean and The Chariot. Thrill Seeker is an amazing album, one of the best Metalcore albums to date. As Buzzman999 said, this cd is worth every penny and I would HIGHLY suggest people check it out.
    aenimafist
    Buzzman999
    Dude, I'm not gonna be mean about it but I honestly don't think you have listened to the cd more than once or closely. ABR have a really structured musical style in the sense that they are nothing like the Chariot and have a LOT of melody in there songs. There is always an overlapping lead that provides the melody in their songs. And no they are not doom metal or death metal is is called hardcore/metal/metalcore. No offense but you need to know your material before you post something about the band. This cd is worht every penny...