Thrill Seeker review by August Burns Red

• Released: Nov 8, 2005
August Burns Red: Thrill Seeker

Immediately after hearing this record shortly after it was released, I thought that ABR would become the forerunners of the Metalcore genre. To me, they have followed through with this goal further than perhaps any other band. Bringing a sound that is known only to them, ABR offers heavy and melodic guitar riffs, often flawless percussion and drums, and a breakdown that would make my grandmothers hips shatter. I have read another review of this album that stated "There isn't much melody that I can pick out" and that "ABR is just one huge jumbled up chaotic heavy metal armageddon," but the album deserves much more credit than this. Well produced by Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage, Thrill Seeker is 47 minutes of pure American Metalcore muscle. If there was any album chosen that set the bar for the genre in 2005, this was it.

Lyrics from Thrill Seeker are empowering as Endorphins' "Grab the wheel right now, and make this life yours," spiritual, and often push a message as A Shot Below The Belt's "What a bittersweet symphony life is, but I wouldn't have it any other way". It is sometimes hard to find lyrics in this genre that offer a supportive word or life lesson, but ABR manages to harness their musical talent and lay it out with a true lyrical meaning. Lyrics like "Unless we cherish all with pride, the lines on our face will turn into canyons of sorrow instead of hope" from Your Little Suburbia Is In Ruins set a new standard of meaning in lyrics for a genre which in my personal opinion sometimes struggles with this task. Vocal range is also shocking, as Josh McManness presents a full screaming range from a high shriek to a low growl, and all levels in between, even a rare speech. Aggressive and brash, his voice fits perfectly with the musical style.

Finding one comparable artist is difficult with ABR. They seem to harvest as many different influences as is imaginable. Though they have toured with such acts as Between The Buried And Me, Unearth, Bleeding Through, As I Lay Dying and The Chariot, their musical style is similar and different to all of them. All of these artists can be seen in ABR and vise/versa. As far as loving the album, it is one of my favorite albums I've ever purchased. Between this and their second album Messengers, I can only say that I am excited to see which direction they are ready to push their talents next. If this album was lost or stolen, I would buy another, and maybe another as a backup or to force ABR on a friend.

lost_motel89
    FoulBodyAutopsy wrote: Another band no one will remember in 5 years. Another Hardcore-floor punching-EMO hair band. He He gave a fine review, its his opinion. "Uber techincal"?? This band? lol..please! technical >Necrophagist,Braindrill. This band is melodic? lol...Callenish circle,Insomnium, Nightrage, At The Gates... Open your eyes Pit Chads.
    hahaha its been 4 years since this album came out, I doubt I'm gonna forget this band within the next year seeing as they recently released a killer album. you wish you were as talented as they are - I know I do
    FoulBodyAutopsy
    AMEN!!!
    aenimafist
    Besides you guys don't have to degrade me for what I think. If you disagree then just leave it at that. You like this album I think it's a piece of schitt. Okay deal with it. Although I saw them live and they put on a good stage show...
    aenimafist
    Aha! I just thought of another good point. I gave this album roughly 7/10 and I still stand by that. Most of the albums that get reviewed today don't get reviews of three and a half stars each.
    jmorr212
    Just go back to school and learn something please, your opinion is wrong, your stating something in there that's wrong. you fail. gtfo. kgo
    football_frog2
    Really? Freaking Really? First of all... Emo? Really? Like every picture of this band they're wearing Abercrombie and have short hair, and they're music is metalcore, so that comment is straight up ignorant. Now, if this band is forgotten, oh well. That sucks for future generations because they will be missing out. Also, none of the bands you've listed can be forgotten because no one has ever heard of them! And I listen to ALOT of metal. I'm fourteen like aenimafist and know better to post crappy album reviews full of ignorant opinions. Opinions can be wrong when there are facts opposing them.
    Ef Motown Ef
    First of all PWN!!!! secondly he's right this is a great band and if they are forgotten in five years the I need to listen to different stuff