Double Brutal review by Austrian Death Machine

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Austrian Death Machine: Double Brutal

First things first: If you can't take a joke, or you think you're too mature to laugh at something that's utterly ridiculous, or you just don't have a sense of humor in general, stop reading now. Just stop. Don't even think about listening to this record. Now, if you enjoy metal, you're a normal human being, and you enjoy a hearty LOL every once in a while, keep reading. For those of you who don't know, Austrian Death Machine is the joke-band side project of As I Lay Dying frontman Tim Lambesis. Everything revolves around Arnold Schwarzennegger and how "brutal" he is. Song titles and lyrics are all influenced by (sometimes taken from) various Ahh-nuld movies. This album is much more about the lyrics and vocals (which are occasionally done by Ahh-nuld himself, played by Chad Ackerman, singer from Destroy the Runner) than the music, but that doesn't mean that the music was quickly thrown together just for the sake of having music. Oh no, this is much better than that. This is legit. This record explores much more musical territory than on the previous record. Some of these songs are strict metalcore, other songs are pure thrash, and there's a lot in between (crossover, anyone?). There's even a deathcore song (Who Told You You Could Eat My Cookies?) on this record, which surprised me. It doesn't sound like Tim's normal style at all, but it was pretty decent. The second disc is full of cover songs, some of which are pretty fun to listen to. The covers come from bands that play anything from hardcore punk (The Misfits) to brutal death metal (Goretorture). Some of them are done very well, like Hell Bent for Leather (Judas Priest) while others were somewhat of a letdown for me, like Killing is my Business... (Megadeth). All of the songs played can relate in some way or another to one Arnold movie or another. Some people may think that the music is a bit too generic or predictable, but you have to remember, this band is more about lyrics than music. That being said though, pretty much every track is high-energy headbanging material. The riffs are crushing, the drums are pounding, and the bass I really can't remember (no surprise there). There are way more guest guitar solos on this record than on the last record. Some of these solos are done very well, and some of these solos are pure wank. Oh hey, that sounds like thrash metal. Anyway, there's tons of shredding on this record. Some guest guitarists include: Andrew Tapley (The Human Abstract) Rusty Cooley (Outworld) Buz McGrath (Unearth) Jason Suecof (Capharnaum) For a record which was composed and recorded entirely by one man (aside from guitar solos), it worked out pretty well.

According to Tim, Austrian Death Machine is "an outlet of pure testosterone and stupidity". And the lyrics really show it with pride. Seriously. But, no matter how stupid the lyrics are, you can't help but feel the urge to shout along to nearly every song. As soon as I put the first song on in my car (after the first skit, of course), I couldn't resist rewinding it just to sing along to the first chorus. "I need your clothes! Your boots! Your motorcycle!". Tim has a way of making anything sound anthemic, infectious, and catchy. There are several examples of this, including (but not limited to): "It's simple! If it jiggles, it's fat!" "Come on Cohaagen! Give these people air!" and my personal favorite; "NYEEEEEAAAAHHHH!" Songs aren't the only place where Tim's comedic side comes into play. The skits are actually quite funny themselves. Ahh-nuld continually refers to Tim as "girly man" with "colorful tatoos" and even goes as far as to say "Your voice is terrible. You sound like... a dying moose or something..." Ahh-nuld even admits "whenever I forget the lyrics I just go BLARGH... like that". I enjoyed the vocals on this record even more than the vocals on any As I Lay Dying record. Tim is much more varied in his vocals on this release than he is with his main band. With AILD, he sticks to his mid-range screams for the most part. It gets monotonous after a while. But, with Austrian Death Machine, Tim doesn't hold back at all. He'll use his mid range screams, he'll reach piercing highs, and on a few songs, he'll reach lows that are comparable to Corpsegrinder Fisher's low growls. I may be mistaken, but the clean vocals on certain songs may also be Tim. If you want to hear Tim's entire vocal range on one song, listen to their cover of The Misfit's "I've Turned into a Martian". You'll also get some vocal shenanigans courtesy of Arnie. His best lows can be heard on the Goretorture cover on the second disc. They're pretty ridiculous, it doesn't even sound like Tim at all. I'd be happy if he used his full vocal range on the next AILD record.

Overall, this is a pretty solid album. Some of the riffs sound like they were rehashed versions of riffs from the first Austrian Death Machine. If you were to ask Arnie, he'd probably tell you "Of course they sound the same! That's because they're all BRUTAL!". Jokes aside, I had a good time listening to this album. It's the kind of music you play in the car with a group of friends who are hopped up on absolutely nothing. Crank up the radio, roll down the windows, and shout along. Seeing as how the only competition they have as a joke metal band has become less of a joke (Dethklok), Double Brutal is probably the best joke album to come out this year. This record is the physical incarnation of the "all brawn and no brains" saying. I'll say it one last time, this is an album for those of us who don't mind throwing our maturity out of the window for a short period of time. If you're chill enough to let loose and laugh every once in a while, give this record a spin, and try to appreciate the utter ridiculousness of it all.

devilskommander
    RAH7747
    random-emo-kill wrote: iamalexd wrote: TobyCarter : "the bass I really can't remember (no surprise there)" What is with everyone's attitude towards bass players? bass is metal is rarely flashy, the only bands I really notice good bass playing is in necrophagist and cob and obscura...one cant forget obscura, as the bass is louder than the guitars in the mix
    +1 to that.. obscura's songs have the best bass lines I've seen for a long long time..
    iamalexd
    Religulous
    TobyCarter wrote: "the bass I really can't remember (no surprise there)" What is with everyone's attitude towards bass players?
    I don't know man, I LOVE bass. I would play it if I had one. I hate when bands bury the bass in the mix, it's so lame...
    Mr.McAwesom2112
    Ed Hunter wrote: Just checked them out now, I must say I'm quite the fan already. Also, anyone who likes this might like to check out Nekrogoblikon who are another spoof metal band who are centered around goblins.
    I just listened to Nekrogoblikon and lol'ed.
    random-emo-kill
    Viking_Swede666
    and Symphony X! especially on their first 4 albums!
    Amuro Jay
    headbanger703 wrote: BACK TO THE CHOPPAH!
    That should be the title to their next album haha
    PhillCantu93
    In most -core music, the bass is generally ignored. That's what.
    KsE909
    i love this album!! the sweeps in the solo's are sick!! especially andrew from the human abstract. its a great album, just as heavy and brutal as the first.
    xXChimairaXx
    Phew that sucks. Those are the only two? What about Dying Fetus. Damn fine bass playing.
    chimairapwns
    guitarist41
    This band is the epitome of fun. 'Total Brutal' is ****ing awesome. I need to get this one when I've got the .
    justinb904
    haha, i loved this album and it doesn't get boring to listen to half way through like some slbums
    Clayton777
    lol, me and my friends have always been obsessed w/ The Ahh-NULD, for this, I appriciate this band, Arnold is my Chuck Norris.
    Panasonic3
    Amuro Jay
    Panasonic3 wrote: There is no reason this "band" should have more than one album. We get the joke already. There's lots of ignorance here.
    Instead of asking why, try asking "why not". If he wants to do another album, who are any of us to tell him not to?
    axeslinger0u812
    I loved the first one, and the Christmas ep. I didn't even know there was a second release! I agree with your view on the band it's completely ridiculous, but the music is actually pretty good, and the vocals aren't terrible either, on the first one. I'll have to check this out.
    TobyCarter
    SilverSpurs616
    I'll be checking this out, I've had hours of fun with Ah-nuld soundboards so this sounds like a crippling laugh-fest!
    Ed Hunter
    Brendan.Clace
    devilskommander wrote: "Hey arnie i think theses songs are comin along good, seeing as though we only spent an hour on each writing the," "yeah" "your just so brutal, not like some other bands out ther" " yeah like that band as i lay crying... the singer sounds like a dead moose" " dude, i dont know if you know, but im in that band" " oh yeah, wel your an IDOIT" " no thats cool, im just trying to make a living, y know i have 5 band members to feed" " 5? i thought there were only 4" " welll,, our bass player" " you IDIOT! /ill shwo you what happens when you betray me!!!
    BAHAHAHAH FAVOURITE part of the first album!
    Amuro Jay
    Its nothing against them, it's just that it's hard to hear bass on most metal records.
    Metallica1554
    I preferred the first album to this one. The arnold vocals sounded much better on Total Brutal. However i like the addition of some new covers on Double Brutal.
    Amuro Jay
    chimairapwns wrote: well actually, as a joke metal band, they have to compete with both gwar and dethklok
    Hm I forgot about GWAR. But Dethklok is a lot more serious now.