Double Brutal review by Austrian Death Machine

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Austrian Death Machine: Double Brutal

I bought this album the day it came out, fearing it would be my only chance to get it, and I am completely blown away at how great this CD is. It is a huge improvement over the first ADM CD with better production, musical structure, and a bonus CD of covers. This album is one of the best sounding I have ever heard, right next to Painkiller and Shovel Headed Kill Machine. The bass drum is the most prominent in the mix along with the vocals, while the guitars and bass rip through the middle. My personal favorite song is Allow Me To Break The Ice, and my favorite cover is of Metallica's Trapped Under Ice, which may actually be better than the original.

ADM is obviously a parody band, so you won't find any moving songs you can connect to here. They are just hilarious in both referencing and quoting Arnold's movies, and are perfect for the CD. I actually hate As I Lay Dying, but vocalist(and everything else) Tim Lambesis has some of the most brutal and varied screams I have ever heard.

I feel this album, although a parody band, can compete with any metal band around in all departments besides lyrics. Unfortunately it is hard to compare ADM to the other big parody band out there right now, Dethklok, because they are on completely different sides of the musical spectrum. All in all, this CD is great, and you will not get tired of it for a long time.

leoofbodom
    its a good record with good musicianship but the arnold part of the music just isnt funny. its kind of like watching a bad comedian when the crowd doesnt react. you sit there feeling awkward like "ok then". then it ends. solos are good. its better than total brutal, but that isnt saying much. and 'brutal' is the worst work ever, makes me cringe every time someone includes it in the description of music
    Jon777
    jetfuel495 wrote: TobyCarter wrote: "the bass I really can't remember (no surprise there)" What is with everyone's attitude towards bass players?Its nothing against them, it's just that it's hard to hear bass on most metal records.
    What a sad reality... It does us bass players a huge disservice. Oh well. Between the Buried and Me makes up for that with the BASS GOD that IS Dan Briggs. Anyway, I'm definitely checking out this album. It looks hilarious. And br00tal.