Total Brutal review by Austrian Death Machine

• Released: Jul 22, 2008
Austrian Death Machine: Total Brutal

This album has a very thrashy feel to it with some crazy solo work done throughout. It has been been totally based around Aronld Schwarzennegers movies and famous quotes from them and there's the odd spoken track by him. There is mostly screamed vocal work but the odd sung part with "arnie" quotes throught out the song. All of the instruments bar the solo parts and the Arnie vocals were all done by Tim Lambesis, this style of writing and playing resembles a Nine Inch Nails theme where all instruments are written by one person and getting a band together to play live. It is a very innovative way to write as there is no conflict with members of a band wanting things to be a certain way, but it can be a lot harder as theres no one to bounce ideas off in the writing process.

The lyrics go with the music really well considering that most if not all of the lyrics have been taken from the scripts of various movies that the "Govenator" has appeared in. The lyrics themselves have been compiled to fit into the songs really well, for example theres: "I've watched you kill my friends, But we've got more guns left, I'm going to get backup, Then come shoot you in the face" which is from the track "Get to the Choppa" and theres "I have been sent back to protect you, My mission prerogative is to see this through, I am a war machine, Killing people is part of me, I am a cybernetic organism, Living tissue over endoskeleton" Taken from the song "I Am A Cybernetic Organism, Living Tissue Over (Metal) Endoskeleton". The singer has really good vocal clarity when screaming and a really melodic singing voice Fairly good vocal work all round but nothing that like WOW and OMG new etc.

It is fairly good in the fact as it can easily be compared with the other thrash genres and you can see very similar comparrisons with the accelerated drums and fast and heavy finger work on both bass and guitars. My personal favourite songs are "Get to the Choppa" and "I Am A Cybernetic Organism, Living Tissue Over (Metal) Endoskeleton". Its not so much a hate it album but more of the fact that there seems to be not enough variety in the songs but the solos help overcome that factor and spice it up a bit. I am undecided if I would buy this album again if it were stolen or lost but I probably would end up getting it again at some other point any way.

Cade_nickels
    ya, you should! I've got a bunch of Austrian Death Machine songs on my profile ... check 'em out!
    jameshampshire
    fantastic album. Tim Lambesis is a metal genius. even know the review for the new album isn't up yet. i got it today and to me it just sounds like new as i lay dying with a funny but musically awesome twist. good job.