Sign In Please review by Autograph

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Autograph: Sign In Please

This album is a perfect example of American Glam Metal. Released in 1984 as Autograph's debut album, it produced only one single ("Turn Up The Radio"), but the single went far and so did they, for a while anyways. The sound of this album is a classic arrangement of lead and rhythm guitar, lead and backing vocals, bass, drums, and synthesizer keys. The performance is actually really good. I have to hand it to Autograph they were definitely worth their own marbles. Their style is more or less the same as every other American Glam Metal band coming down the pipe at the time, so it is kind of hard to develop an attachment to, unless you've been listening to it your entire life like me. The solos and guitar work are my favorite parts of the album. Performed by guitar virtuoso Steve Lynch (of no relation to George) the guitar work will sufficiently satisfy any metal guitarist. It is definitely the crown of this album, for me anyways.

The lyrics are simply put, perfectly in the style of the 80's. The vocal performance is sufficient but nothing quite special. Lead Vocalist Steve Plunkett knows how to use his voice, but doesn't have one of the best ones available. The lyrics coincide with the music very well, despite being rather silly in some places. They complete the album well, but don't stand out too much. Aside from the smash hit "Turn Up The Radio" (which can be found on almost every 80's metal compilation in existence, its how I discovered Autograph), most of these songs are lyrically forgettable.

When I was young, I loved this album. My mother bought it for me on cassette when I was very young and I used to love it as a favorite album. Now that I'm older and have a few more years of musical experience, It doesn't stand out as much. I will always have it in my collection but that is just because it is a childhood favorite of mine. All in all it is nothing terribly special, just an 80's glam metal record. If you like the genre, it is worth a listen, and it is honestly done well. However, it just doesn't reach out and touch the listener like many of the greater albums do.