That's The Stuff Review

artist: Autograph date: 04/05/2011 category: compact discs
Autograph: That's The Stuff
Released: 1985 (Vinyl), 1990 (CD)
Genre: Glam metal, Hard rock
Label: RCA Records
The performance is better than the writing, and its sound is basically summed up as forgettable and cliche 80's metal.
 7.1
 5.7
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
That's The Stuff Reviewed by: guitfiddleRR, on april 05, 2011

Sound: By the time 1985 rolled around, Glam-Metal band Autograph had mildly established themselves on the American rock scene with one Gold album. The follow-up release was unfortunately, not enough to secure them a permanent position on the top. I'll admit that I thought the production quality of this record surpassed the quality of the last record. It had a better mix and overall presentation of the recorded performance. Unfortunately, the style, writing, arrangement, and overall sound of the album was that of a classic cliche 80's glam record. Most of these songs are written with the same structural formula and are generally forgettable. If you have the taste for the sound you may enjoy it once, but nothing about it will really make you want to hear it again. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are generally what turned me off. They reflect the musical style of the time, but honestly thats what makes it forgettable. We all know how many cheesy rock albums came out of the 80's. We have all heard lyric after lyric that was put together simply for rhythmic purposes. After listening to many albums like these, its hard to feel the necessary empathetic connection to music that makes us like it. Perhaps thats why bands like "Autograph" died out so quickly. // 4

Overall Impression: In short, the performance is better than the writing, and its sound is basically summed up as forgettable and cliche 80's metal. Autograph had much deeper and better writing on their previous album "Sign In Please." Even though its not the greatest record either, its still slightly memorable and retains a small level of originality. Unfortunately the only real improvement with this record is the production quality, and thats about it. Not any part of this album really struck me or made me want to hear it again. If anything, it reminded me how embarrassing the 80's were to music, at least in many aspects. I don't mean to harp so much on a band that is a childhood favorite of mine, but I believe "Sign In Please" will be the only Autograph album I keep in my collection. // 6

Comments