The Mystery Of Time review by Avantasia

• Released: Mar 29, 2013
Avantasia: The Mystery Of Time

Avantasia is a renowned heavy rock supergroup, featuring former members of such bands as Edugy, Rhapsody Of Fire, and Kamelot. After first forming back in 1999, Avantasia has gone on to create a multitude of critically acclaimed studio albums, and appealing to the ears of metalheads across the globe with their signature sound consisting of pulsating heavy metal licks, progressive rock elements, and an overall rock opera-esque sound. Now, Avantasia return to the music world bearing not just their first studio album in three years, but also another memorable metal outing. The new record, titled "The Mystery Of Time", marks the third installment in the band's history, and shows Avantasia returning to the same vibe they last left with "Angel Of Babylon". The entire album bears a strengthy sound most comparable to Symphony X, filled with such downright epic tracks as the racing "Invoke The Machine", which boasts contagious vocal harmonies and speed metal riffs; and the ballad "Sleepwalking". I'm also hearing a more significant AOR influence throughout the new album, which actually propels the album a step forward, as compared to some of the band's earlier works. Another powerful record from Avantasia, which doesn't leave too much to even remotely consider negatively persisting upon.

Saying that lead vocalist Tobias Sammet is an incredibly dynamic singer just isn't doesn't do him justice. He can easily transition from a natural tone, to a angst filled scream that falls somewhere in-between Ronnie James Dio and Udo Dirkschneider. "The Mystery Of Time" has proven to be no exception, and it's his singing that drives many songs over the top, more specifically "Where Clock Hands Freeze".

Overall, "The Mystery Of Time" is a frequently exhilarating album, which shows Avantasia taking some more dynamic influences head on, and never ceasing to come out on the winning side of each encounter. I'm not quite sure, maybe it's the expansive territory this album takes sound-wise, or maybe it's the standout contributions by such similarly renowned rock musicians as Joe Lynn Turner (ex-Rainbow and Deep Purple) and Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween), but "The Mystery Time" is a step greater as compared to the band's previous albums. And this step brings Avantasia in a bold new direction, and frankly, I like it.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

EpiExplorer
    Bit of power metal never hurts. I reeeeally want more Jorn Lande though. He's got the voice.
    TobiasSammet
    Jorn Lande wasn't avaible unfortunatly, but this lead to some other new guests to shine alongside with Tobi!
    jdp103089
    i've been listening to these guys for a long time and it confuses me when people say its their best album yet because i'm just not hearing it. the scarecrow for me, was their best. i'll certainly take all the music i can get from these guys, but it hasnt struck me as their greatest work. not yet anyway.
    EdguyRule_22
    Love this album, love all the others too. I really liked Jorn Lande on the others, but I think having new faces for this album made it even better. "What's left of me" with Eric Martin is awesome!
    TobiasSammet
    This album really needs several listens to be appreciated. Even me, the #1 fan of Avantasia and Edguy don't feel that epic vibe at the first listening. Also the earbook is something truly epic and Amazing. You should check it out, you'll be pleasured and satisfied! Maybe too much material like in the last two albums, but better put together, without annoyng parts or fillers. Let's hear it yourself!
    hvymtldrmz1392
    I love Avantasia, and "Edugy" as well... Glad this made the front page but seriously, UG, you need either a designated editor/proofreader or some writers who are capable of self-proofing. Sincerely, A writing major who's looking for a job somehow related to music.
    Carl Hungus
    I don't like sensitive clean singing. The youtube song sounds like an eighties ballad with Peter Cetera and Amy Grant. Gimme a break.