All Excess [DVD] review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jul 17, 2007
  • Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 8
Avenged Sevenfold: All Excess [DVD]

The sound quality is well DVD quality. it's what you'd expect from Avenged Sevenfold on their DVD. One thing I particularly liked was the background music during the documentary is the instrument tracks from their songs, with the vocals taken out for the most part.

Content — 7
When I first heard about this DVD I was expecting it to be similar to Tenacious D's Complete Masterworks disc where it had a complete concert, all the music videos, all the tv appearances and a short documentary. But I was disappointed when I found that the main emphasis on this disc was the documentary. Don't get me wrong, it has some good stuff in there but the initial shock that it was so far off what I expected made it seem worse than it actually is. The documentary tells about how the band met and formed and then goes into how the band rose from garage punk band to the platinum record making band (for Waking the Fallen, give City of Evil some time). It also has the band going back to places they hung out when they were just starting out including the now infamous "this is where we got drunk" spot. It also showed them walking the campus of their high school and sharing stories. As for the live performances, they were spot on and awesome, but it was too short and the song selection wasn't that great. They should have had more songs on there and I would have killed to have Second Heartbeat on there instead of Trashed and Scattered. The music videos section was great. It had optional commentary by the band or the director on all of their major music videos, Unholy Confessions, Bat Country, Beast and the Harlot and Seize the Day plus the "making of" that was released online for Seize the Day. The last section in the DVD is the outtakes section. I don't really get why they called it outtakes when it really was more of a deleted scenes section.

Production Quality — 8
For the most part this was a straight documentary with some bonus features. You can really tell that they wanted this to be something the fans would like because the documentary is very well done. There really aren't any fancy tricks or special effects. It's really just a straight up documentary/music video/live disc.

This is their first DVD and I'm sure with all the negative feedback about not having enough live footage I'm sure their next one will be better. The most impressive thing about this DVD was it basically showed what it takes to make it in the music business. If you want it to be your life then you have to put your life on hold and get out there and get noticed. It's something I'd like to get into someday but I don't know if I have the patience/determination/motivation to go through all they've done. My favorite thing on the DVD is obviously the 4 live performances, but I hate that there are only 4 songs and the main emphasis on this disc is the documentary when I really would have rather had a concert dvd. This disc really isn't too terrible but it takes a while to get over the initial shock that it's not a concert DVD. If it were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't mind too much because one, all the concert footage is on youtube and two, the documentary isn't really something you need to see repeatedly. Bottom line, this disc isn't that bad, but when you realize that it's not a concert DVD then you'll be pissed.

Acheron95
    Ha you guys are something; they never said they were going to make a Live concert DVD, since they announced they always been plugging it as more of a look into there lives with a FEW live songs put in there. If you bought/thought this was a full concert video then you should have done your research.
    Saofan12
    i thought it was great, inspiring too,i dont mind that theyre drunk half the time
    dry85
    I went to the DVD premier in Hollywood, I thought it was awesome. I documentary with some music and bonus features added. Is this not what the title emplies? "All Excess" of course it will be about drinking and crazy times 9/10.. Also... 10/16/07!
    GodofCheesecake
    SynSchecter
    hey, its hilarious how many dipsh**s out there take the time to come into an a7x review just to make fun of them, that just shows how pathetic they r, also, the dvd is awesome, shows how they are backstage, instead of live concert vids, where u dont rly get to see the people behind the instruments, which is pretty cool, so yah, f*** u all who think a7x is gay, i dont care if u dislike them, but f*** u for saying it
    Hardrockbryan
    This sucks, one of my favorite bands with my 2nd favorite guitarist is really going downhill, first they make a documentary of getting drunk, then they wanna sound like AC/ DC (in my opinion AC/ DC is really plain), then they make a frikken political song. I knew it couldn't get any better than City of Evil. I hope theyre next album isn't the end of them.
    mafoogles
    it's not strictly dosumentary, there is some concert footage and music video's, but it's a damn good documentery as well
    sykguitaryst
    GodofCheesecake wrote: Avenged Sevenfold make incredible music, but they have a downright shitty image. They say they're not trying to make music simply to appeal to mainstream, yet they do EVERYTHING that a steriotypical MTV metal band would do, i.e. drugs, drinking, partying nonstop, etc, and they release a DVD showing them doing just that, which means they WANT people to see them doing that, because they think it makes them look cool...
    yea, even though they've clearly been partying/drinking before the fame. thats just them being them, i personally think they look cool as hell for getting drunk and hitting the stage that good. and this dvd was awesome. keep listening to their "music" not their "image" :\
    Vintage_Axe
    Avenge are a wana be punk band
    learn what a punk band is ass... = black-flag = sex pistols = Ramones
    Azzagunner
    cyclonus78 wrote: i tell u what, listen to a song called 'innocent exile' by iron maiden and ul see where avenged got the idea of using the opening and bridge riffs in Second Heartbeat from
    Oh come off it, it's called the Minor Scale.
    jfsj123
    lol Azzagunner is right. y do u care people always nick other peoples styles. if u think about it everyone is copying every single note who somebody or somepeople did. the guy who invented notes and stuff gets ripped off by every guitaist, bassist, kyboardist, pianist etc. Let it res