All Excess [DVD] Review

artist: Avenged Sevenfold date: 11/13/2008 category: compact discs
Avenged Sevenfold: All Excess [DVD]
Release Date: July 17, 2007
Prior to the release later this year of the band's next explosive album, the DVD All Excess brings fans up-to-date with a visual and aural history of the group. This is only the beginning for A7X.
 Content: 7.7
 Production Quality: 8.3
 8.5
All Excess [DVD] Reviewed by: razorblade666, on october 25, 2007

Sound: What a great way for A7X to psych everyone up about the new album. If you didn't know, All Excess is a DVD chronicling the early days of the band and eventually leading up to what they are today. There are interviews with each memeber on a number of topics. The bonus features are amazing. This DVD is a must have for any true A7X fan. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this DVD, is that it couldn't have been better. Who doesn't wanna know what happend to there favorite band before they were big. The maind story is the most impressive thing. All the hardships they had to go through. Amazing. I wouldn't have asked for anything better. // 10

All Excess [DVD] Reviewed by: humanchipmunk, on july 24, 2007

Sound: As an Avenged Sevenfold fan who has been with them since before Waking The Fallen, a DVD has been long anticipated. Expecting to see the concert I attended a year ago at Soma in San Diego they filmed to later show on MTV2, I was somewhat saddened to hear it was strictly a documentary. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression as someone that appreciates the music more than anything was the DVD was disappointing. They briefly talk about at the end how much they admire Metallica, however Metallica has a few live concert DVDs, and even on "Some Kind Of Monster" there is a lot of footage of them in the studio. Perhaps somewhere down the line A7X will follow in the footsteps of their heroes, but as for now I don't think the DVD was worth the money or the time spent watching it. Sadly if it was stolen I would just let it go. // 3

All Excess [DVD] Reviewed by: axenoob, on august 06, 2007

Sound: The sound quality is well DVD quality. it's what you'd expect from Avenged Sevenfold on their DVD. One thing I particularly liked was the background music during the documentary is the instrument tracks from their songs, with the vocals taken out for the most part. // 9

Overall Impression: This is their first DVD and I'm sure with all the negative feedback about not having enough live footage I'm sure their next one will be better. The most impressive thing about this DVD was it basically showed what it takes to make it in the music business. If you want it to be your life then you have to put your life on hold and get out there and get noticed. It's something I'd like to get into someday but I don't know if I have the patience/determination/motivation to go through all they've done. My favorite thing on the DVD is obviously the 4 live performances, but I hate that there are only 4 songs and the main emphasis on this disc is the documentary when I really would have rather had a concert dvd. This disc really isn't too terrible but it takes a while to get over the initial shock that it's not a concert DVD. If it were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't mind too much because one, all the concert footage is on youtube and two, the documentary isn't really something you need to see repeatedly. Bottom line, this disc isn't that bad, but when you realize that it's not a concert DVD then you'll be pissed. // 5

All Excess [DVD] Reviewed by: shabutie86, on january 25, 2008

Sound: The sound was very good in the DVD. There were always clear and good production valued concert footage, however usually throughout the DVD when there was concert footage they would generally play the actual track over the video, much like the music video for "Unholy Confessions". Most generally people would call Avenged Sevenfold "metalcore" or as more conservative metal heads would sneer "nu-metal". Either way Avenged Sevenfold is a nice callback to the earlier days of metal when it was about rocking. Period. // 9

Overall Impression: As far as I've seen from some artists and the DVD's that they have put out, this one has defiantly have to be one of the more top notch DVD's one could tell it wasn't just put out to appease fans between Cd's however conveniently enough it serves that purpose. But it chronicles Ax7's struggle from being a no-name band from Huntington Beach to super stars with legions of loyal fans, music videos, rock n' roll songs and the lifestyle. Throughout the DVD many members of the band appear to be, or are under the influence of alcohol. Best part of the DVD for me was Synaster Gates crawling across a table full of guiness beers full to the brim, knocking them over just to give the man sitting across a shot. Brilliant! A must buy for a serious fan! // 9

All Excess [DVD] Reviewed by: dan4ftball14, on february 09, 2008

Sound: Well first off this DVD isn't one for a tour or live concerts or anything, but rather a behind the scenes story of Avenged Sevenfold. It does include, however, a collection of shots from different shows while performing 'Bat Country.' The music you hear is a live version of bat country, you just don't know which show was the one they recorded it from. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall it was a pretty good video. It really makes you feel more connected with the members of Avenged Sevenfold by knowing there struggles and such. There's nothing I really hated about this DVD, but if your not a real Avenged Sevenfold fan, but might not like it. It's not like just a bunch of shows and there songs, but more of an informational DVD. Just on a subject you might pay attention to. If it was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again, though. It's more of a one time see movie, and after watching it serves as more of a collectors item. If your really into collecting Avenged Sevenfold merchandise, though, I would totally advise you buying this DVD once more. // 9

All Excess [DVD] Reviewed by: Avenged_Matt, on november 13, 2008

Sound: Well, If my profile hasn't given it away, I'm in love with everything about Avenged Sevenfold. This isn't going to be a very long review because, Well, I'm not gonna lie, I'm just doing this so that I can see all the tabs that need approval. The sound of the DVD is absolutely immense. It shows that Avenged Sevenfold really are proffesional musicians and that they are indeed all unique at the instrument that they play. A story that is attatched to the DVD is the story of how Avenged Sevenfold started. Like, they started in high school, and each member went through various different bands before they all came together to form A7X.. I'm not gonna give anything away for people that want to see it though. City Of Evil is a really intruiging record it'self because there is just an absolutely variety of sounds heard in each different song. Some have violins, mixed in with the crash cymbols from the Rev, giving some songs a real dramatic, operatic effect, an example of this in the bridge of 'The wicked end'.. Right before 'As the prophets shedded light' The fact that Shadows can really get messages across with out having to scream the lyrics shows just how talented song writers they all are. They still keepp they're old style of rock in there too, with songs like 'Beast and the harlot', 'Bat country'.. And a kick ass song called 'Sidewinder'.. But the softer songs like 'Sieze the day' show their more affectionate side. One song definately worth listening to is 'Betrayed'.. This is a song devoted to Pantera's late lead guitarist 'Dimebad Darell' R.I.P.. The lyrics in this are absolutely immense and if I wern't such an insensetive p***k, I'd cry. This guy was their role model and they grew up listening to him, he meant a lot to them and I'm guessing the only way that they could express how they felt was through song, Well it certainely shows. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive thing about this DVD really, Is that you realise just how much they have all been through together, and this DVD emphasizes just how much are still al best buds. I love the fact that it tells you everything about A7X.. because I'm one of those fans who just can't seem to get enough of his favourite band and isn't satisfied until he knows everything. I don't hate anything about the DVD really. I dislike the fact that it didn; t show you a full live performance. But it does show you glimpes of performances. If the DVD was to be lost or stolen, I'd most likely hunt the guy down who stole it and tear them to pieces, because everyones knows how much I love that DVD, and A7X.. I'd buy another indefinately, because they're my favourite band and it's impossible to get bored of them. I would reccomend this even if your not a fan of A7X, it tells you a lot about them as people, Them as musicians, How they are constantly developing. it also tells you a lot about the music industry it'self. Other reccomendations: Waking The fallen (Album) Self-titled (Album) Diamonds in the rough (Album with bonus side) Live at the LBC (DVD number 2) // 10

Comments