Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

This is the bands 4th album which is self titled, which to me seems like they've ran out of ideas. There are 10 tracks on the album, none of them even come close to comparing to their first 3 albums, they are slow, boring, and seem very rushed just to get it out onto the market. 01. Critical Acclaim - starts out with what I tihnk is a organ, then goes into a guitar solo, after the guitar solo, it sounds like a huge mashup for a bit, then there is actually quite a good verse riff, the vocals are quite good up untill the chorus, where it sounds very raspy and out of key, after the first verse the rest of the verses just sound like mindless jibberish, untill the bridge, where the vocals actually pickup a bit, there is then another guitar solo, I have to say that the guitars in this song are quite good, but the vocals. I personally don't like them. 02. Almost Easy - again starting with a guitar solo, personally I think it sounds like a theme song to a sonic the hedgehog game, there really isn't much to say about this song, apart from the bridge, where the vocals are just repeated over and over, this gets very repetitive and annoying, there is a guitar solo in this song too, which sounds like the same few notes repeated over and over again, nothing too spectacular, whereas the song itself as a whole I find quite catchy despite the annoyances in it. I rated this 4/5 solely on the fact that it's catchy. 03. Scream - this song starts off and you think, "This could be a good song", the lick in the intro/verse gets very annoying and repetitive, there again is a guitar solo in it, which isn't quite as repetitive as in the other 2 tracks, but again based solely on the fact that the song is pretty catchy. 04. Afterlife - this is the only song I rated 5/5, it's starts with an orchestra, it then kicks into a very good solo, followed by some good riffs, the vocals are similar to the style from "City of Evil" in this track, bar the chorus, which is hard to describe, but it works, something else unusual about this song that I liked was the presence of an orchestra throughout the second half of the song, but I did find the backing vocals sub par, there is also a second guitar solo in this song, which I personally think is good, more like Synysters Gates' style, unlike the other solo's so far in this album. 05. Gunslinger - this is one of the better songs of the album, it starts with a good western style acoustic guitar chord progression, which then kicks into the riffage which kicks off the song, the guitar solo in this song is definately my favourite off the album, it's not shredding or anyhting, butit is filled with emotion, the only problem I have with this song is that it is too short, coming in at just about 4 minutes, I was hoping it would last much longer with it being one of the best off there. 06. Unbound The Wild Ride - another song that kicks in with a guitar solo, this is one of the faster paced songs off the album, everything in this song seems to mesh together nicely, The only things that I feel lets this song down, is that there is a choir singing in the background too, and the fact that what sounds like an 8 year old girl singing the final verse, I just don't feel that this fits in with the song properly. 07. Brompton Coctail - there's not really too much to say about this song, bar the fact that it seems like the guitars have been replaced with synths/keyboards for a large portion of the song, the vocals in this song work well with the music though which is a plus, this song is quite repetitive and seems rushed guitar-wise as it seems like all they are playing is powerchords. 08. Lost - this is one of the songs that I gave a higher rating to, with a harmonised guitar intro, which I might add, sounds very good, this song seems like they spent a lot more time on it than some of the others, everything meshes together very well, there is a harmonised guitar solo in this one too, which I think is superb. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - to be blunt this song is terrible, It reminds me of a bunch of childrens cartoons theme tunes put together mixed with Panic! at the disco, it is also very long and boring, at over 8 minutes of cheesey lyrics, and what sounds like a childrens pantomime/cartoon. 10. Dear God - this song is kinda slow and boring, all throughout, it starts off similar to track 9, but does pickup a bit, with a guitar solo, which I can't exactly call great, and very very slow. Overall, I was expecting a lot from this album, but it just failed to deliver.

As usual Avenged Sevenfold wrote some good lyrics, the lead vocals from M. Shadows was average, the main problem I had with the vocals was the backing, Whoever was doing them blatantly can't sing. The lyrics did actually fit the music though, the only track that stopped me from putting this in as 8/10 was track 9 "A little piece of heaven" It was the sort of thing I would of expected a childrens pantomime, not from a metal band.

Compared to their previous 3 albums, this is total garbage, I myself am quite a big fan of Avenged Sevenfold, but I don't see myself listening to this very often, if at all, there are only 3 or 4 good tracks on there, which aren't particularly amazing, if this CD were stolen or lost. I'd say good riddance to it.

vanceboy
    ug's review says the drums sound over-processed while another review says it's "more gritty"....odd.
    GiantRaven
    matt_h wrote: because this band is terrible
    Stop stating your opinion as fact Nobody cares And don't tell other people to be unbiased about things when you blatently sound biased yourself
    Ragnorak6000
    should be getting the album later in the week and judging by these comments and reviews I have nothing to fear
    GiantRaven
    Hendrixreborn wrote: hey, just thought i'd have my 2 cents, well to start off, whoever is reviewing these albums should call it a day, i understand u love this band and cant wait to brown nose them but u cant judge an album if ur a Avenged FanBoy which u all are, except "fatwanker" who seemed to give a decent opinion given that he liked the other albums, so all of you guys and girls giving 10for sound 10for lyrics and 10for impression, are sadly mistakened with an average age of 12 years old and listen to fake metal. So next time give a REAL and In-Depth opinion of an album whether you like the band or not. ~Xx peace xX~
    Or...you know...people just have a different opinion than you Is it so hard to accept that?
    Czechs Mix
    I bought this album today, and it is f**king amazing. I don't care what the haters out there say, this album kicks ass!
    Whoabot
    The problem is that good reviews need to be objective. That's Hendrixreborn's point, I think. Fanboyist reviews help no one, because you love the band, and will love anything they crap out. In order to actually create something interesting and worth reading, you have to put all of your preferences aside. That said, they're not original, or insane. Most of my guitar playing friends can do better. Skilled, yes. The greatest? No. This album is bland and sounds like every other song I've heard from them before.
    TheDisturbed78
    its ok, probably could have been better, not too much a fan of this band anyway, i only like 4 or 5 songs by them.
    Aminos
    oh my ****in god, this album was really really BAD over the years, avenged sevenfold became so boring o_o waking the fallen was the Best \m/
    Matt_Firebird
    ive heard about half the album already and found it a bit dissapointing. ITs just mediocre and lack luster. Ioved city of evil for just how crazy and voer the top it sounded but and waking the fallen for its sheer brutality. This lacks both
    Hamham272
    ok this album seems to be a love it or hate it album. i havnt got this album as of yet ( plan on getting it when i haves some money), yet this is getting flamed as much as city of evil was. so im guessing this album imo is gunna kick arse. considering the "this album ****ing pwns!!!" comments and "this sux, listen to real music, SLAYER!!! " posts.
    Rosseta Stoned
    Getting this tonite, i dont really care what people say, i've liked all their albums, and bought them, so this one will not be an exception, no matter how horrible people think it is
    seizetheday1103
    well, i think its a good CD, the worst of the four tho. basically, its good, but not as good as it shoudlve been for the 6 months i waited for it. i like it but dont LOVE it like the other 3
    knezicd437
    why would Guitar World say that they could be "the next great american band"?
    EspMan7
    matt_h : let me just say this, **** avenged sevenfold and **** everyone who likes them. yep they suck ****ing balls. and have since shadows voice went from suckin to much balls.
    i respect the fact that you dont like them but please stfu.
    xxmoshoutxx
    what i dont get is some of these people who seem to be obssessed with screaming! dont you realise that it sounds extremely bad if done wrong screamo is just another phase, just lyk glam rock and emo a song doesnt have to be screamed to osunf good its just a more mature sound dont get me wrong,, i ove it when a band pulsl it off, im a big fan of nads such as killswitch engage, as i lay dying and all that remains but dont be so one way with your opinion listen to all sorts of music and respect other epoples opinions
    Korzack
    After listening to the obvious 2 tracks (critical acclaim and almost easy), I think I'll be giving this a miss - It's just not fun to listen to. If those are the highlights, then the rest of the album sounds like a chore, so I'll borrow the album off a friend & give it a listen, but I smell a rat here.
    bighugejake
    Getting worse by the album. Every year they wain more toward commercialism. This album is the worst one of their discography. City of Evil follows in second place.\ I really wish that their next album goes back into the hard rock band they started out as.
    JordanLennon
    i'm really sick of hearing negative reviews about this album and this band in general. i've been HARDCORE A7X from 'Seventh Trumpet...' and on and this is my favorite work of theirs. isn't the reason we all started listening to these guys was because they were doing something different? every time they step further away from the mold, less people like it. i don't get it.
    aelzanie
    Avenged Sevenfold used to be one of my favorite bands but this is total CRAP compared to City of Evil
    ooblah
    hardcore metal is dieing, it was cool for about 5 years until everything sounded the same.. I admire A7X for their bravery in stepping out of the hardcore genre and making these last two albums..which are awesome.
    psilocyndreams2
    i heard some of the new stuff and it was pretty awful. waking the fallen was a generic album that was good for what it was. city of evil was a decent album that got bad because most of the songs were overplayed, and this new one is just terrible.
    Aziraphale
    Avenged Sevenfold are one of the most innovative hard rock/metal bands around now (can't really be classified as either cause that would contradict the 'most innovative' part). Like all true innovators, they get hated by those who can't understand it. Which is what we see here. At this album, well the production absolutely shits on CoE, which is a relief. This one is less riff driven, but they've managed to infuse more genres (and above all, instruments) into their sound, and I appreciate that they still avoid the generic chord progressions which can't be said about many metal bands today(oftentimes, generic chord progressions is all they do *cough*powermetal*cough*). I've only listened this album twice or so, but I think it's really good, and fresh. A little Piece of Heaven is one of the best songs I've ever heard Fucking hilarious.
    the1
    Great album given you like the music for what it is, and you aren't some elitist close-minded wanker.
    synystagates
    Different, but good. I like how they changed their style; it brings out each members abilities. Great ablum.
    -Sidewinder-
    Who cares if they aren't "METAL!!!!"...grow up I'd rather listen to this which is very well composed, then all that other metal crap thats just "RAWR DROPPED A GUITARS PLAYING SAME NOTE OVER AS FAST AS I CAN WHILE SOMEONE SCREAMS SOMETHING THAT ISN'T UNDERSTANDABLE!"
    KnIvEs00
    alright, well to start off, i really don't think that many people can/should really analyze and/or critize an album on it's first day. A lot of times, things have to wear in before they're really good. I'm a huge A7X fan, and honestly, the album didn't quite meet expectations. It's good, and some of the tracks are really well done, but overall, not enough of Syn and the Rev for me (i also beg Shadows to do atleast a bit of screaming). I agree this isn't the best album to date, but my god, some of the things posted here are down right shit.
    i mean, wtf you *****?!
    \m/Torin\m/
    i agree with korzack is right almost easy was a boring song, it might be worth a listen but not a purchase.
    gigas
    I have bought all 4 Av7x albums and this one is a disappoint. Ok ok, the album is not all that bad. But i was expecting more. Alot more. They do dip into all types of genre but I wanted heavy. I wanted metal. There are a couple nice tracks to listen to over and over but the fluidity of the album is lacking. Vocals are top notch as well as the guitars and drums. i wanted this album to be an 11/10, but i am giving it a 7-7.5/10. I am glad i still have KSE to fill in the void that this album is lacking.
    mason092
    I didn't like it a lot when I first listened to it but it's gaining on me.
    Winsbury
    I prefer their older stuff... though i havent properly listened to the songs (i just listened to clips on youtube) but hey... it might grow on me... could have waited untill after the UK tour last year to make this album though and now their not even playin the same venues... bummer
    mercurymay
    does anyone except me think that the intro to Critical Acclaim is an Ozzy Osbourne ripoff? I have "Mr. Crowley" in mind...
    PastaOfMuppets
    Who are you to judge what is fake and real metal? Granted, Avenged Sevenfold aren't an insanely heavy band or anything but its not like that should have any bearing on whether they are good or not. Remember, these reviewers (i hope) aren't rating the album on how "metal" it is but simply on how good it is an album. And it is a very good album, not a 10 (very little is) but definitely worthy of at least an 8. I like Avenged Sevenfold but I'm not a fanboy (best mate is a bit though ), they are one of those bands I listen to when I want to feel good. I dont care for their earlier stuff, there are better bands who did that kind of thing but I credit them for developing a distinctive sound. This album is tonnes better than CoE, and that was a pretty good album.
    BuryMeInBliss
    metaldud536
    DagMX wrote: I didn't like his album much. Its just not memorable. The lyrics are simplistic and so are the compositions: Veerythign is zacky doing a powerchord then syn doing some small riff. Rinse and repeat. Only the singles are worth listening to. I was hoping fr something a lot more epic sounding...this just came out dull
    Not memorable? Something is memorable because their isnt anything that sounds like it. Name another album that sounds like this one.
    metaldud536
    BuryMeInBliss wrote: im so glad i didnt waste my money on this album, id rather set fire to 12 or however much theyre charging for it. i downloaded the torrent, listened to all the tracks, its absolutely abysmal - Avenged have lost it. What's with the politically driven filth that is 'Critical Acclaim'? Organs? And in 'Dear God' and 'A Little Piece Of Heaven'? Oboes? Clarinets? You're not ****ing Cradle Of Filth! Shadows has no feeling in his voice, all of the guitarwork is bland, boring and uninspired, adn sounds very similar. And their look is abysmal too. The Rev is the only person to look decent. Amen to RockSound Magazine - the best review i have ever read. 'For fans of : Anything other than real music' ROFL!
    What is real music then? Tell me Jesus.
    mp3stalin
    Fiddler wrote: Half the songs sound like bad Dethklok rip offs :x
    the words "Dethklok" and "Bad" cant be used in the same post. the use of the words "Brutal" and "Metal" with "Dethklok" are encouraged though.
    JoshD182
    Freedom of speech is totally wasted by some people, get a grip haters and go enjoy the music that you do like. anyway, I love the new album!!!!
    GiantRaven
    punkrockjoe wrote: I've not heard the album but kerrang completely bummed it and rocksound rubbished it, giving it a 1/10, I'm ever so confused.
    They gave it one review which got 4/5 How on earth is that...as you say...'bumming it'?
    GiantRaven
    BuryMeInBliss wrote: Amen to RockSound Magazine - the best review i have ever read. 'For fans of : Anything other than real music' ROFL!
    Any magazine who can write that loses all credibility in my book
    Styx
    Hey noob we're not in the 80's no more, metal evolve just like all music do.This is evolution of metal without disrespecting the great metal like Slayer, Iron Maiden and Megadeth. The point is music evolve no matter if we like their new direction or not.
    BuryMeInBliss
    Well, real music consists of feeling, layered parts, music which isnt blatantly the band becoming greedy, playing far too commercial music to sell albums, thus all the feeling has gone, and by not being a twat. That is real music. (This isnt just because i like metal, i dont even like metal that much, grindcore all the way!)I used to like A7X, even city of evil i liked, but this is is just too far
    Saofan12
    there was a lot of marketing that goes on with this album, like the contest only comes with the itunes version but if u buy the special edition u cant do the contest... good marketing strategy i feel like A7X could have done better but they were fine no problems here =)
    oh... THAT guy
    Dude... I've heard all their albums, only really liked 'City of Evil', I like A7X, but I am definately not an 'Avenged FanBoy'. I Listen to all types of music and all subgenres of metal, from Dimmu Borgir to Disturbed, and frankly, this album ****in' owns. It has a wider range than COE and has great riffs/solos/drumming. Have you heard the album? And if you're not, who the **** are you to judge?