Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

I'll break the album down song by song: 01. Critical Acclaim - this album kicks off with ominous sounds of organs and quick guitar solo, before moving into pummeling drums and noisy guitar bends. The main riff of the song is simple but fairly strong, something easy to headbang along with. so far so good, the spoken word parts give Shadows a platform to rant about his hate for the liberal media. The guitar solo is thrown in after the bridge, decnt but nothing overly inspiring, The singing is better n this track then it was on the previous album 02. Almost Easy - again the song opens with a guitar solo, and a quick crushing riff that I can't help but think I've heard before. The rest of the song is ok, easy to see why they picked it as the first single, singable chorus and a good rhythm. Guitar solo is more fun than the last song, but the sweeping runs seem to be thrown in at random, the secondary solo sounds better, the bridge is the most singable part of the song. 03. Scream - here we open with a woman screaming and a very heavy riff (kinda remainds of of Hellyeah's Star, except there's an awesome picking run that accompanies it), the pre chorus riff is very groove worthy, the song has kind of a sexy vibe to it, more so than anything they'd released before, I can see this song being the next tune to be released from this album. The guitar solo in this song fits better than in any of the previous two tracks, and a lead line continues playing under the bridge which sounds really good. So far it's the stand out track on the CD. 04. Afterlife - this track opens with a string section and you kind of expect something slower paced, until the guitars come in, another opening solo, this one is the best sounding so far. First time I've been able to hear the bass on this album in on this track. the riffs are ok on this track, nothing to call home about. the vocals are more varied on this track. The chorus is insanely catchy. The riff in the verse seems to sound better the second time through. the strings come back in about half way through the song for the bridge, it actually sounds really nice, minus the additional vocals, it ruins the feel of the bridge. Another guitar solo that seems to follow the same formula of fast run, slow run. oh well at least they changed things up and added another fast run and a whammy dive. the laughter after the solo kind of ruins the songs sort of sombre vibe. Good track but had potential to be the best song on the album. 05. Gunslinger - here's a change, we open with an acoustic guitar and some slide playing and not a guitar solo. The most original song on the album so far, his vocals fit in with the acoustic and slide vibe perfectly. the chorus comes in and sounds suberb, especially with just the acoustic playing. The heavy riff comes in and it's so far the simplest and best sounding riff of the the album, his vocals switch to fit the electric vibe, and it works. The chorus is still catchy, singable and sounds really good. The bridge goes back to an acoustic vibe, and it sounds fantastic. The guitar solo doesn't seem out of place and actually fits the vibe of the song fairly well, nothing unecessary or too flashy, very well put together. This is the best put together track on the album. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - kicks off with a lead guitar line and some fun drumming, piano accompanies the singing in the verse, very pretty and kind of flashy. The chorus has some really interesting guitar lines played in it, to give the impression of a roller coaster, very clever. The second verse sounds like the piano and guitar trade off being flashy underneath the vocals. No real guitar solo but the amount of lead guitar in the song over prety much the whole song makes up for it. the song goes out with a what sounds like a little girl singing, adds a very creepy vibe to the song at the end, to accompany the piano. 07. Brompton Cocktail - the song fades it with what sounds like feedback, or a sound effect and into a decent riff. The riff becomes slower, and during the verse we get some strings which sounds super. The vocals are quite good on this track. The singing is enhanced by the additional vocals in the mix and the string section. The tempo for this song kind of gives the song tension, which really enhances it. The guitar solo is drenched in wah and kept short, which is a nice change. I can't help but eel there's something missing from this song, but I'm unsure what, something just prevents it from being a stand out track. 08. Lost - opens with some lead guitar lines, which then harmonize, which is standard for these boys by now I'm sure. The rest of the band kicks in and we're off and running as the drums keep this track at a quick pace. The singing style doesn't suit the track as well as it could, not that it's out of place, but it doesn't fit completely. The chorus has a vocal processing effect, which sounds weird at first but actually really enhances the sound, it's different and it works for this tune. underneath the processed vocals is a really cool lead guitar line and decent drumming. After the second chorus it goes into a guitar solo, which sounds harmonized again, and it works well. The bridge uses the vocal effect, but not as apparent as it is on the chorus, the chorus has a great solo being played over it as the song ends. Really this song is pretty good, definitely worth a listen, the vocals have to be heard to be appreciated on this one. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - this tracks starts off with horns and piano, and has a very ominous feel to it. Kind of has, I know it sounds weird, but a Hitchcockian vibe to it, well Hitchcock meets carnival music. Songs tells a really twisted story, the strangest song on the album, sounds like nothing they've done before. the strings come back before the 2 minute mark. For such a strange song the chorus is very melodic and has a very lighters in the air and sing along with the band vibe, which is not the vibe the rest of the song has. Oddly enough, it works in a very stange way. I think it's a testament to Shadows singing ability that this song works, it switch betweeen style with the music, his voice is the centrepiece of the song and he holds the tune together quite well. There's an additional female voice on this track and she seems to work well with Shadow's, and I guess their plan on throwing everything and the kitchen sink into this track. now it sounds like a church choir in this, and a voice that sounds oddly like marilyn manson playing the priest in this narrative track. This song is a marathon at 8 minutes long with so much going on in it. Really the strangest song on the album, and the weirdest part is how very little guitar playing you can hear in it. 10. Dear God - another song that starts off with an acoustic guitar, might even be a twelve string and some slide playing again. clearly this albums power ballad, the vocals fit the song really well, and this song will prbably be a single, as I'm sure this song will be a hit with the ladies and guys who want to have sex with ladies. the song has a sort of country vibe, and there is clearly a banjo playing in the chorus, which is just friggin awesome. more female vocals accompany shodows, but for no real purpose. The song is 6 and a half minutes long, but the last time you hear singing is at about 4 and a half minutes, the rest of the tune is guitar soloing, but it's pretty tasteful considering the type of song. I'm almost tempted to say thay this is kind of like a tribute to freebird, with the unecessary outro guitar solos.

01. Critical Acclaim - it's their foray into the politcal lyrics sphere. This song will surely get them an invite to Gov. Arnold's house in California, as it takes a decidedly republican stance on how the dastardly liberal media and celebrity protesters are douche bags for not supporting the war in Iraq and basically dumping on America's current republican adminstration. Lyrically it's actually pretty good, and the Shadows sounds awesome in this track. 02. Almost Easy - the first single and the I'm sorry I screwed up your life track. The vocals sound really good in this track, but lyrically it could be better, particularly the repetition of "I'm not insane". I feel it takes away from the song. The additional vocals during the chorus are really well done, and the bridge saves this track from mediocrity. 03. Scream - the sexy song in my opinion. The vocals, rifs, and lyrics give the song a really sexy kind of groove. The song is pretty much about banging, or killing broads, but that's really not as sexy. Though there is kind of a vampirism vibe to the lyrics. 04. Afterlife - the first of probably 5 songs on this album that deal with god, or the afterlife in some way shape or form. Song about dying prematurely with what I assume is his significant other. The chorus is really heartfelt, a sort of "its not my time, but when it is I hope you'll be here for me", mind you during the chorus he may even talking to god, asking for a stay of life, it's not my time, to be here but I hope to get back. I really like this song as the vocals and lyrics are really well done here, but the laughing after the guitar solo ruins the vibe the song had. 05. Gunslinger - the soldier at war who's coming home tune. The vocals and lyrics mesh well, and the song is really quite sad. God and prayer are mentioned in this one, this song is really well done and is still a highlight on the album. Doesn't break any new ground with these lyrics, but it's a brilliantly crafted tune. 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - this track seems to be about the importance of independecne, and how no one can hold him down. mind you it deals with it better than other tracks do. basically it's about going through life and learning to take things slowly. Live without fear and do what you have to do seems to be the overall lyrical theme. the choir in the song is a nice touch, as is the little girl at the end of the tune. 07. Brompton Cocktail - if Critical Acclaim got them an invitation to have an audience with the Republican party, this track will get them thrown out. Dealing with a fairly heavy topic of the right to die (mind you Death already played this card already). Lyrically this a good tune and the themes of God, Death and the afterlife come back into play here, with the protagonist of the song being convinced that god will forgive him when he dies, as his death to this illnes is inevitable. Assisted suicide a heavy topic and probably the most touchy topic on the album, but it almost makes for the best lyrics on the album. 08. Lost - this track kind of remains of the Wick End from the last album. This track kind of has a we are still doing things wrong here, there's still war and people doing bad things. This is the song with the vocal processor and it sounds really good. The song is a huge a downer with the feeling that our crappy selves are bringing about the end of the world 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - this song is vastly messed up but has a fairly comprehenisble narrative arc. Guy loves girlfriend, guy is paranoid and doesn't want her to leave him, guy kills girlfriend, guy violates corpse and keeps her around so he can continue to violate corpse. Girl ends up in hell, comes back from the dead, kills boyfriend. They have a sort of reconciliation after killing one another. They have creepy unholy union in hell, and are now apparently a pair of murderous spirits. The vocals are really what make this song work, honestly Shadows vocals are the glue that holds this 8 minute cut and paste song together 10. Dear God - the power ballad, very much in the vein of Home Sweet Home, Nothing else Matters and I Remember You. Old story, singer on the road misses his missus, asks God to make sure she's ok while he's not around, nothing new or groundbreaking but a sweet heart felt tune, cause I think he has to include at least one song about his girlfriend on every album.

They said it wasn't going to be another Waking The Fallen or City Of Evil, and they were right, it's differnt from both. It's more melodic than Waking The Fallen, but it's more focuesed and polished than City Of Evil. Standout tracks are Gunslinger, A Little Piece of Heaven, Lost, Bromton Cocktail and Critical Acclaim, but there's no really a bad song on the album. I am a fan of the band, but I think this was a really well put together album in spite of that. I think if I wasn't already a fan, I'd be a fan after this record. Some things could have been done better, but they took a few risks on this one, and really they stand out better when they try something new. I think the guitar playing and drumming was more focused on this album and the vocals were done better, his voice isn't as nasal as it was on the previous outing and there was more variety in his vocal style. I like the album, not the best album I've heard this year and there's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it's a solid effort and better than most of the stuff that's been released in this calendar year that were supposed "must have". Solid album and well worth the money.

addicted_sponge
    ...This is NOT Avenged Sevenfold. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU GUYS??! WHERE ARE SYN'S FACE-MELTING SOLOS?!?!?! I miss the City of Evil days... =(
    RipDimeX
    jesus are all of you still 15 year olds? i know most of you dont have a professional music background. so if you dont , you really do not know what you are saying. you cant get how they were creative on this album and for that fatwanker guy or others like him, tell me your music background then huh? and for those of you saying that this song sucks well let me hear you make something as creative as that that im most positive if most of you were giving a studio and some instruments for a day you would not know what to do. what happen to the professionalism in people? people just to say this songs sucks that bands sucks they are emo blah blah. grow up and learn.
    kustomjarvis
    I used to be a huge a7x fan, until i heard critical acclaim and saw the almost easy music video. The only thing I was even mildly impressed with was Rev's drumming. Syn's guitar work has been shot to hell, any possibility of a good riff was just repeated until it was dead, back-up vocals sound like some Alison Krauss goes metal disaster, and their genre exploration in songs like Dear God and Gunslinger shattered any thoughts of this once musically-genius band remaining so. All-in-all I'm saddened to see this band go, but not everyone can be the next Led Zeppelin
    Hexagram
    Metalhead118 wrote: ok...i know this is not something i usually do, because it wasts my time, but a7x are gay enough that i have to do it. A7x sucks...hands down...just a bunch of emos who are metalhead wannabe's. whoever says that synister queer is the second best guitarist of our generation shouldn't be on this site. all of their albums sucked. yes i listened to them all and not only did my IQ decrese by 50, my sperm count is lower. I can't find a damn thing that this new album is tryin to do. it also sucks when two magazines i subcribe to (Guitar World and Revolver) show these faggots and i have to ignore half of it so i can read the good stuff. This new album killed any hope of me liking them. City of evil sparked something...but this is bullshit. sorry emos....yet again your music proves howmuch your sorry excuse for a culture sux. i give it a -100000 out of 10 if i insulted anyone...i don't give a ****...the truth hurts...get used to it.
    Nah, you didn't insult me; you simply showed me your lack of intelligence. Don't come in here and start being a dick. Learn some respect, grow up some more, and at least give some input as to why you dislike the band or their music. Kids can say they like or dislike something--grown ups explain that reason
    eggospartan
    the truth? the ****ing TRUTH? Wow, ITS ALL OPINIONS GUYS. In your OPINION they might suck. but its only a ****ing OPINION I love them. Thats my OPINION of A7X. Now if you say my OPINION is wrong, then your labeling your self as a close minded OPINIONATED *****.
    guitarguy421
    it was just horrible thank god i didn't buy it, and i like avenged nothing will ever touch city of evil, and the guitar work was just like 30 percent of what it could have been, more solos, more solos, needed, it only had like 3-5 good tracks.
    Rosseta Stoned
    Two of my favorite songs off of this album is Unbound and A little piece of heaven. Those lyrics are really messed up though.
    SL!!!
    It was the sort of thing I would of expected a childrens pantomime, not from a metal band.
    I hate A7X but i am still aware that this is a ridiculously stupid thing to say. This guys' idea of music is extremely conservative and this is why he was bound not to like a cd by his favorite band because what he initially heard is is what he like thus it can never change. Still, A7X blow. The music is good, i mean they have talent, but M. Shadows is an ***** and his voice is annoying as ****, bad lyrics and while the music is very well done i find it really lame. Too corny for me.
    quietimeating
    Age has nothing to do with it, I'm 16 and I like Avenged Sevenfold, and I'd be willing to bet that most fans are young. That's why people of a different generation (as well as arrogant scene kids) accuse them of being a terrible band. They say the same of any popular band, like Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance. Now with FOB I can see why people think they "sold out" but people will always have their opinions, especially when it comes to popular music.
    Metalhead118
    Logan_B
    yeah Avenged Sevenfold ios getting a lot of hype from Guitar World magazine.....theyve only been one of the main story in like 6 different issues in the course of two CD's.....i totally disagree with the rating at the top....i give it a 9.5 outta 10.....its their best work yet.....while being a little more melodic.....although "A Little Piece Of Heaven" is a little weird lol....otherwise i love that CD
    XxNevermorexX
    Hmmm... I really liked A7X's older stuff, but their new stuff isn't quite my style. I'm not saying it's BAD, specifically, just that I don't like it. But hey, it's their band, they can pick the direction they want to go in, and if this is the music they want to make, than that's cool.
    Apocalypse4162
    This album is really cool to listen to, because it's something new! I love A7X with a passion, they are incredible people and can make amazing music. I feel that on this album, although I commend them for putting the effort into it, I just don't "get" it like with the other albums. Waking The Fallen for example, is an album that should be listed in a book like "1001 Albums to listen to before you die" Because it's that amazing, just the most perfect album I've heard from a newer band. City Of Evil is amazing too. I LOVE Beast And The Harlot, I love the double bass beats, thats something that the new album is lacking some of, is really impressive drumming, I mean The Rev rules, but I don't think I heard much of any double bass blasting..I dont know, if I were to rate this album, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, I do like some of the songs on it, but they arent memorable enough, I don't even know the names to which ones are which yet, except Critical Acclaim. Its good, but not their best, I like it more than Sounding The Seventh Trumpet though, but it's nothing compared to WTF and COE.
    dreamshot
    I've been a big A7X fan for a few years now and I had big expectations for this CD. I wasn't let down...exactly. It wasn't what I expected. The first time i heard Dear God, i was really pissed off...country? Nut i got over that and now i kinda like it. Now there is not one song on this CD that I would skip. All of the songs have something about them that makes me want to listen to them again and again. I'm not saying it's their best CD, but it sure as hell doesn't suck. IMO "A Little Piece of HEaven" is one of the best songs ever....well maybe not, but its still awesome...I thought it was really impressive....all of those instruments. Sure, it's not the A7X everyone was used to...but its still A7X. I give this CD an 8. I think they should have had more material.
    KaMoRa
    I personally thought "A Little Piece of Heaven" was amazing. I agree that it was like a cartoon song which is almost exactly what they were going for. If you read Guitar Player magazine then you may have read that they were influenced by Danny Elfman who is famous for his works in movies such as Edward Scissorhand, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and The Corpse Bride. I think they portrayed that very well.
    neversleeps84
    sowhat360 wrote: i like the album i guess but getting rid of the crazy drumming from last album was a mistake
    I have not heard the album yet, but I remember a news article on UG several months ago where Syn and the Rev said the new album would have "more technical drumming, even more than City of Evil". That sucks if they didn't follow through with it.
    jas_x_2006
    JTsparx wrote: why do people riducule others on the music they like, i mean its dumb, do you expect everyone to be like you, i mean i love this album, i love a7x, i dont care if they went a little expiremental on this album, because i like all music, i dont really care, but i dont rag on people who like other music, unless its rap, wich really isnt music, its just noise. plus why do people judge music for how well it is put together and stuff, i mean greenday's music is very simple, no guitar solo's, no anything, just music, but i still like it. but maybe thats just me
    lol rap..it's just noise and i agree,it not music,no talent
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Learn_to_fly wrote: faggot
    If you don't like the band, don't read its reviews. Simple as. Also, no-one cares for your stupid, unsubstantiated, biased opinion. Go back to 4chan.
    Styx
    Perpetual Burn wrote: How is 'A little piece of heaven' A7X's best song fcuk??? That review sucked.
    Yeah is like if Tim Burton wrote that song is a piece of sh!t the whole album, the only thing i really liked about this album is the solos they really kicked more ass than in CoE but the rest is just not right.Go back to Waking the Fallen or Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.
    joseruntalan
    this was a pretty awesome album. my favorite out of them all. although i miss shadows' screaming, the way he uses his voice now is just amazing. imo, the best songs are scream, a little piece of heaven, and dear god. i like scream because it's a really catchy song and has an awesome sweeping solo. i like a little piece of heaven because they went a little pinkly smooth, and it's a funny song when you listen to it musically. i like dear god, because it's just a really nice power ballad that was perfectly placed. the end. =D
    sowhat360
    i think this albums close but not totally there.....that one riff when the heavy guitar kicks in in the slow song is pretty badass. how is it only played once???? thats the best riff on the cd....and theres not much more to that song once they pass that riff....also, the drumming is much more toned down than the last album.....i dont like that.....overall the cd's good, i just think they have the talent to do better.
    jonnyharris1
    Thank you time paradrox for saying exactly what pisses me off. Its true, who cares if its metal, or what rediculous sub genre of metal a band is: at the end of the day its just music and for people to enjoy for whatever reasons and if you care about its status then you seriously need to grow up And sorry to stereotype, but im pretty sure half the people that hate bands like A7X, trivium and BFMV only do so because its not cool to like what Kerrang likes.
    ironman316
    i hate avenged sevenfold as a band. but i like this cd a lot. not a big fan of COE, but i like this one. only problem is track 2 sounds too much like dream theater. listen to their album "scenes from a memory" (amazing album btw) and you'll see what i mean. and either that song or a different one had someone elses sound. i forget which and who. overall impressed though. =]
    SheKILaDZE
    Bonorly
    Brilliant album, but lacking a lot in emotion in terms of vocals and instrumentals; add all the emotion up in the entire album and it still doesn't come close to Seize the Day
    jas_x_2006
    SheKILaDZE : i think A7X are gonna be dissapointed to find their next concert, (sould out btw) full of 12 year olds and the ocasional under aged fans, (by that i mean toddlers). As much as i hate it, id rather take the cold truth. I love waking the fallen and city of evil, but this time A7X has ****ed up... bad. Riff work - sucked solos - definatly sucked lyrics - typical shadows (but way less than standard) new sound - sucked (way to poppy and cheesy) and um no, i hate to break it you, but they dont keep getting better, how about you run a good analysis on how well made city of evil is, (it does have flaws but still) and then compare everything in CoE to the new one. The new album is just... wrong. agreed...i dont like there new sound for shit
    Triviutallica
    I think the new album has a unique quality and sounds individual set apart the followers, Wow i can't believe so many people are flaming A Little Piece of Heaven That's my favourite song followed closely by Almost Easy. I love Avenged Sevenfold and if this album differs from the rest so be it, these guys are amazingly talented and i adore them. If you don't have anything good to say about them you can't call yourselves A7x fans!
    MichaelMcintosh
    i think that A7X new album is the best one yet, who cares if there are certain flaws, they grow better each album and i hope they make a new one, and to what Triviutallica said, if you dont have anything thing good about them to say then you are not a true fan
    Stimpomatic
    I heard Almost Easy on FUSE then on the radio. The song, I thought, was a nice break from everything else i had been hearing, so i bought the album. You have to look at the music from a musicisian's standpoint and not so much a fanboy's standpoint to really appreciate it. This album makes you realize that while the guys in A7X are rockstars, they are also amazing musicians. This didn't get this far playing Greenday riffs.....
    matt_h
    anyone who actually likes this band is a **** sell-out they are the biggest cockiest fags i would know i liked them when i was gay then i found real heavy metal grow up mother ****ers
    matt_h
    NO BALLS!!!! check these guys out www.myspace.com/theacaciastrain
    jas_x_2006
    i diidnt like their new albu, i liked waking the fallin way better than any album....they suck ass now all this pussy ass songs,i like the songs scream,almost easy,critical acclaim,afterlife,and dear god
    donnyyouidiot
    avenged sevenfold has changed no doubt about it. i think the old avenged sevenfold was good at what they've done before, but the new avenged sevenfold is good now. almost easy is my favorite on the album. its the best mix of old and new besides critical acclaim, which has been played out. brompton cocktail is an amazing song, the lyrics are what carries the song