Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

Avenged Sevenfold's fourth outing, their self titled album, like City of Evil departs from their previous direction in music and enters a new approach. If fans of Avenged Sevenfold roots back to the Waking the Fallen know the expenience we shared when Avenged released City of Evil, we could say that this album gives the familiar situation. It's an album that breaks or makes fans. It isn't impressive at first, but take a listen and you know it grows on you and with catchy riffs and melodic solos, it definitely isn't a disappointment. Solos also takes a new approach. While City of Evil suffered the loss of screaming (which, in my opinion was pretty disappointing as me myself loved the way M.Shadows growled) it made up for lightning speed solos and dual harmonics. Avenged Sevenfold shows more feeling than ever with songs like Dear God and Gunslinger, while the lightning solos are still present in Afterlife and Scream. A little piece of Heaven doesn't even have a solo, nor is it filled with heavy riffage. Also in the new album displays a much more orchestral approach, when you listen to the strings in Afterlife and the brass in A little piece of heaven, and bongo drums are even implemented in Brompton Cocktail. The songs themselves are written beautifully, and indeed takes on a much mature yet raw sound. However, only having 10 songs in the album is a minor disappointment. And while preivously stated that the songs are written beautifully, Almost Easy seems abit repetitive and out of place. The synthesised vocals in Lost also seemed useless and ruined the song.

Lyrics takes on a similar approach to City of Evil. Themes of war and politics are present. AS's Gunslinger is the CoE's M.I.A, and Critical Acclaim is the answer to Blinded in Chains. Issues of Death are present in Afterlife and Vampire Sodomy in Scream, but the most twisted and crazy song is A little piece of Heaven, where a story of murder, necrophilia and a Bonnie and Clyde action all in one song. M.Shadow's voice is much stronger and powerful than he was in City of Evil this time around, where you can hear it in Unbound and Brompton Cocktail. Also for the fan of Pinkly Smooth, The Rev enters this album in vocals on several songs, and I personally love the way he growls in Afterlife. He also sings in Critical Acclaim, A Little Piece Of Heaven.

Old fans of A7X who is still loyal would love this album as they did with the transition of wtf to CoE. But those who stopped liking them after CoE would most likely still hate it. The fans after CoE will like the album, as the change wasn't that radical but at the same time, brings something unexpected and fresh. Despite this, if you just took a glimpse, this album is hard to be impressed, and only after you listen carefully would you really feel this album. Definitely not a disappointment though and will satisfy most A7X fans.

Mr.Tea
    It sucks when a band with this much talent produces an album that can't surpass COF, but i admit M.Shadows voice improved and it was more melodic and i did love the little bit of country added into it. I miss the snaky drum lines though, and a little piece of heaven sucks its so morbid.
    xCoilx
    hm. theres alot of good reviews on this album i think im gonna check em out
    ken20008
    I listen to almost all forms of rock, from metal to punk, to blues and latin rock, and i must say A7X are decent. Not too bad, JUST DECENT. I think you have to have some talent to create 4 records and make decent, if not good music. Not everyone can form a band and write decent half-assed music, not everyone can perform at big rock shows, not everyone can have hordes of fans. All A7X haters, can you do that? I dont care if they are metal or not, as long its DECENT music its ok with me.
    Eruption_Rocker
    I love this album. My favorite tune off of it may have to be either "Lost", "Almost Easy", or "Gunslinger". Yeah, I said it: Gunslinger. Go ahead and ****ing judge me. I don't care.
    IfTheWorld
    InTheClouds wrote: People just don't get it. This album is unique. Avenged Sevenfold has changed on every single album, and they're a bit more experimental this time. I still love it. I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out. But they said time and time again not to expeect another City of Evil or Waking the Fallen. Go into it with an open mind.
    exactly they're just trying to develop their own sound as they said in Total Guitar a few months back
    lukeshredpard
    Avenged Sevenfold has never really been my cup of tea, but I have a friend who is a die hard avenged fan. Therefore, I think it is ok for me to say they suck. I'm kidding. They don't suck. But this album absolutely disgusted me. I could understand liking City of Evil, but this was just experimenting way too much and I feel like they are trying to be big. They could do a lot better and they know it(even without screaming. But hey, they are better than Aiden.