Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

The sound of this album was amazeing and I loved it. I'll admit that it wasn't what I thought it would be but it was pretty close. Personally I think that A7X could have put the songs in a different order. M. Shadows is amazeing the pure sound in his voice is hypnotizeing and at the same time he manages to keep your atteantion. Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance are both very near perfect. Synyster could tone it down and let Zacky solo more. Johnny, though most bassist are over looked, is never forgoten he can be heard very well in a lot of songs. And last but not least The Reverend Tholomew Plague, or for short The Rev., although I think that he used too much symbols is some songs, is still amazeing and very talented. He can be heard singing with Matt in some of the songs that he helped write.

Although the lyric are near perfection they do have their flaws. There are times in some songs like Critical Acclaim, Unbound (The Wild Ride), Scream, and Bromption Cocktail where it seams that M. Shadows is more talking than he is singing, even though he some how makes it sound good. The backup in a few songs could improve however. The songs over all I think could be a bit longer.

I am more of a Screamo lover my self but A7X is just too amazeing and I will follow them until they stop touring. Personally I liked the Sounding The Seventh Trumpet purely because it is screamo. Over all I think that this album is the best. If they would have been going for the same sound as City Of Evil then yes I wouldn't like this album at all. It sounds nothing like Sounding The Seventh Trumpet, Wakeing The Fallen, or City Of Evil but that makes it all the better. it's like nothing I've ever heard. M. Shadows said "The last thein we're going to do is write and City Of Evil: Part 2 or a Wakeing The Fallen: Part 2, It's not a thrash record or old school it's a sound like no one's ever heard- like when Korn came out. They were the first ones to start the whole scene and they sounded different than everybody. We want to do that for our own generation." 01. Critical Acclaim - I love the way that A7X mixed the organ and then Syn and Zacky come in and then shortaly here comes Matt. I get the message of the song and I really love it. The whole thing about "So how does it feel to know that someones kid in the heart of America has blood on their hands fighting to defend your rights." I love it! It's a pure masterpiece. 02. Almost Easy - awesome solo in the beging and I like how Rev. uses the symbols but he could've used them a bit less. I really like the song however I don't really git the thing when it says "(Mother) Come back to me it's amlost easy" the rest of the song makes it sound like he's talking to his girlfriend or something. I think that the song is too short 03. Scream - I like the scream in the beging but the guitar dosen't sound high enough to be Syn, it sounds more like Zacky. "We've all had our time when we've lost control. We've all had our time to grow" I Love the way Matt puts it there. Not the best song on the CD but I still like it. 04. Afterlife - I like the orcstera beging and Syn and Zacky comeing in and I especally love the bass parts ing the song(mainally becauce I'm a bassist) and that Johnny is astounding. I like the vocals in this song the way he sounds, just everything. Even thought it is kinda slow in some parts it is one of the better songs in the album. 05. Gunslinger - at first I didn't really get this song but after a while you figuer out what Matt means. The only thing wrong with this song is that it's too slow in the beging. I, personally, don't think that this is a consert worthy song. To raelly get this song you have to think about the troops and what they go though. 06. Undound (The Wild Ride) - the solo in the beging is good but I don't really like the style he chose with the singing. The over all singing is very good and I really like this song. It's one of the best on the CD and it has a lot of truth in it. The only flaw is the little girl singing in the end the way she says the verse twice I think oncl is enough. The chior is ok in the background for the first time but I think Matt could have screamed it the second time. 07. Brompton Cocktail - this was another song I really didn't get at first but I kinda like it. It wouldn't be one of the ones I would listen to one repeat. To me the song is too slow there needs to be more solo time and pick up the pace on the song. Other than that the song over all is very good. 08. Lost - the beging is a little strange it just dosen't sound like A7X to me, it sounds more like a killing scene in a movie. Other than that the song is ok. I liek the vocal style Matt picked out for this one. The whole song shows off their idvidual talents. The song is very true if you think about it. 09. A Little Piece Of Heaven - I really like this song I just fail to see the place it has in this album. It's a very amazeing song purely on if anyother band had tryed to pulloff the song they would have failed miserably. 10. Dear God - another song I fail to see the place it has in the album but I do raelly like the lyrics. To me this song is very inspirational. It has an amazeing sound to it. Again this is another song that I think that if anyother band had tryed to pulloff they would have failed as well. The biggest flaw is that the ending is too drawn out and and slow. A Little Piece Of Heaven and Dear God are at a tie for the most imrpessive pureally because only Avenged Sevenfold can pull them off. I love every thing about this album. The only thing that I hate is that it's too short and it leaves you wanting more. I would defentally buy this album again no doubt. It isn't the best out of all the albums but I really like it.

metallic_rob
    I have to say this as a fan of A7X, that this album isnt as gud as City of Evil although it does have some quality songs(e.g. afterlife,scream). It starts off great but it fades as it goes on. Synyster is ignored in my opinion, he has one moment of brilliance on this album (afterlife) and then thats it. A7X are a much better band when Syn has an active role to play. A little piece of heaven illustrates my point exactly. I'm a big fan but to call that song is epic, is a joke. One, stairway to heaven, these are epic songs. COE started off great and got better as it progressed, but this just faded leaving me slightly disappointed.
    bake n baker
    i think they shouldve named the album the album that that kid down the street that your tired of hearing so you go get it just to make sure your hearing what that kid had but your shocked to find that its actually pretty amazing. that would be AWESOME!! i would buy an album with a paragraph as a name
    Shredder Guitar
    it never ceases to amaze me how people think the guy only "preserves" the woman's body. what do you think it means to "reclaim the body with which I'd misbehaved..?" lol
    boyan89
    I would consider myself myself a metalhead. I listen to every type of metal, i like rock and punk also. Im not here for this though, to the haters **** off, look a7x are actually making music, and not sitting on their asses bashing shit, i listen to Megadeth,Children of Bodom,Triviu,Protest The Hero,Between The Buried And Me,The Human Abstract, In flames, Meshuggah, Suffocation, Maiden, Pantera, Disturbed,Slayer, etc.... man all im gonna say its just about the music, and you know what you guys can just go away, and get a life. I was not dissapointed with this album, i love how a7x get different with each album, the songs are awesome on this album, Syns solos are fantastic, Zacky does a good job backing him up, rev never misses a beat, Shadows has a good voice, and Jonhy is one hell of a bassist, Afterlife proves that. Once more to the haters get a life, enjoy music and stop ****ing genre criticizing its getting really annoying \m/.
    Wizard_of_Aus
    Just interested, how come all the ex metalcore bands are getting softer, more rockish? sure it sounds good but. why doesn't anyone go heavier instead?
    edgeyyz
    I think there are some good songs on this album, but overall it kind of dissapointed me...
    Error try again
    I've been a fan of A7X for a long time now and, to tell the truth I was also dissapointed.... Honestly there kinda rolling downhill now.... Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen were amazing and city of evil was pretty good but this one kinda sucked....
    Nodin
    hey i have one thing to say to all you haters of Avenged Sevenfold....FUCK YOU!! this album for one thing was amazing, maybe not as good as city of evil but still amazing...i dont get why ppl dont like this band, i think they just dont take the time to listen to their music enough
    Joodan
    I really prefer City of Evil over this album. This album is almost boring. Unlike the transition from screamo to Hard Core that City of Evil brought, this transition to a slower, instrumental album was weak and lacking key elements. City of Evil had power and meaning which this album lacked.
    Les__Paul__630*
    I think that these guys are sort of overrated. City Of Evil was pretty cool, but this album was not good... at all..
    live in the LBC
    It's a solid album. I'm upset that Almost Easy made it bigger than Unbound (the wild ride). Right away, Gunslinger was the best song on the album. Looking back on it now, it's probably Afterlife (Written by the Rev). But their best song (compositionally) on any album is "A little piece Of Heaven"(another song written by the Rev).
    white_ninja12
    MusicianMan13 wrote: Sergeant Rock wrote: Wow if you don't like A7x, then it's your loss. For all the people whining that "This isn't metal" IT"S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!!!! They have matured beyond the point of the stereotypical metal band. And for all the people who said they only listened to the first song on the album before they decided that it sucked.?????This is Avenged Sevenfold's style. They don't have one. Since when is it a bad thing to have every song on every album sound completely different? In my opinion that is the mark of a great band. THANK YOU.....i one hundred percent agree with him...
    i third that
    Mitchaell
    fourth that. I love waking the fallen to death but this albums awesome too its a good change. When I saw them live they were amazing cant complain about the new songs at all. Unbound FTW