Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album continues the sound similar to City Of Evil, possibly dissapointing fans of the bands first two albums. Though, the majority of the fan base will love the sound of this album. The album starts off with "Critical Acclaim," a political song that has strong lyrics, with some heavy guitar work, and singing by The Rev during the chorus of this song. The duel guitar solo fans can enjoy the album right from the start, as this song has a very good one. The next track is "Almost Easy," the first sngle released off the album. This song is possibly forgettable off the album, but is still an excellant song. The next song is "Scream," with is a cool melodic song with more great guitar harmonies and riffs. The next song is "Afterlife," which is my favorite song off the album, and from the whole band. The sound on this song is brillant, with great use of an orchestra, great guitar riffs, powerful vocals, a build-up into an amazing solo. Excellant song. "Gunslinger" is a very good song dedicated to the troops. From here, you will here more of similar stuff, although when you reach, "A Little Piece Of Heaven," prepare for a very interesting story. Overall, a few tracks could of been better, but I think the sound is great for most a7x fans.

The lyrics on the album aren't too bad. The focus of a7x never was really on the lyrics, yet songs like "Gunslinger," "A Little Piece Of Heaven," "Critical Acclaim," and "Afterlife" stand out to me as the best lyrical songs. The lyrics fit the sound of each track very well, and they are very impressive. Matt Shadows has excellant vocals throughout the album and throws around screams here and there, possibly a reminder of the past. While some lyrics are great, some tend to be very repetitive and not really have meaning to them.

I think this album is hard to compare to other artists, considering I haven't been around music for longer than a decade. But, I believe this will be the peak of a7x. This album is great stuff and should appeal to those who questioned anything about the band's talent. The most impressive songs are "Afterlife," "Critical Acclaim," "Lost," "Dear God," and "Scream." The guitar work is amazing, the members of the band really put time into this album, as every song either has insane guitar solos or complex drumming, or intense singing, and just overall talent get shown in this album. I would definately buy this album again if I lost it. I recommend it to any a7x fan, whether your a huge fan or just know a few songs.