Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

This is easily the most interesting record I've ever heard. The way it's composed, is nothing short of, dare I say brilliant? Anyways, here are the songs, in order: 01. Critical Acclaim: interesting use of the organ. Has a nice effect on the song. The vocals on this song strike me as awesome. Comes in whispering: (Be quiet you might piss somebody off), and then it's all yelling: Like me, motherf--ker! You've been at it for too long. Some other things they did with the vocals are pretty interesting as well. 8/10 02. Almost Easy: actually a pretty normal song. But, in a way, that makes it stand out, compared to the rest of the album. 7/10 03. Scream: also, a pretty damn normal track. Starting off with a strange sounding scream (hence the name), and then the guitars coming in, actually pretty cool. 8/10 04. Afterlife: definitely the most epic, amazing song A7x has put out. Ever. But, only the album version will suffice, not the shitty single version. The cello/violin intro, followed by a harmonized solo from Syn and Zacky, is awesome. The instruments, the vocals, everything, it just makes the song so intense and awesome. It's a must-listen for anyone, A7x fan or not. 10/10 05. Gunslinger: one of the stranger songs on the album... An acoustic, western-style guitar intro, a couple of verses, the chorus a few times, and then a nice scream leads us into the heavy portion of the song. And then, a gospel singer...? Actually adds a nice effect at one point, and then a very heartfelt, slower solo. Actually, a pretty sick song, although it seems too short, at about 4 minutes. 9/10 06. Unbound (The Wild Ride): there are basically 2 parts to this song. The first part is faster, more energetic. Fast piano skills, electric solos, heavy riffs, and a fairly high tempo, are what make the first part of the song awesome, with each member showing perhaps their best musicianship on the album. Then, the tempo slows down... Church chorus... and then the weirdest thing, perhaps on the whole album, a clean guitar riff accompanied by what sounds like an 8 year old little girl. All I have to say to that is "What the fuck?!" 6.5/10 07. Brompton Cocktail: creepy sound effect intro, then a neat little bongo-drum solo followed by the heaviest guitar riff on the album. Then it slows a little, there's cellos or something in front of some lower-register guitar chugging. Suicidal lyrics, high pitched vocals during the bridge. An OK song. Doesn't really seem to stick out in the mix. 7.5/10 08. Lost: my favorite song on the album, aside from Afterlife. Some excellent guitar riffage similar to Slayer's classic Dead Skin Mask, except, you know, A7x-ish. Then The Rev [RIP :(] comes in with some energetic pounding. Pretty fast paced like Unbound (The Wild Ride). Then the vocals come in, the lyrics on the verses are kinda cheezy, but the rest of the lyrics are meaningful and all that. Then the chorus comes in with processed effects and all that, which surprisingly sounds super awesome. The chorus is also really catchy. You gotta listen. The guitar playing is amazing throughout the song, especially during the extended solo at the end. 9.75/10 09. A Little Piece of Heaven: the most unique song on the album. In fact, probably the most unique song, well, ever. It's basically some creepy-ass necrophilia, in a song that sounds like a rip-off of a Tim Burton film. Yeah, you kinda gotta hear it to believe it. I'm still freaked out to this day by the freakiyness. It's actually kinda cool though, in a unique kinda way. One of the best choruses ever. 7.75/10 10. Dear God: it wouldn't be so unique if it was by some redneck country star. But, obviously, it's not. Yeah. A7x makes a country song (at least it's not about his dog or truck!). And, it's not like Gunslinger, where it picks up and gets all heavy... no. It's out of place, and not a good song. 4/10

The lyrics on most of the songs are just suicidal. Pretty depressing I'd say. But, there's a couple expressions, Lost, Critical Acclaim, Scream... But yeah, listen to Brompton Cocktail, and it's just like, "Whoa...", you know? Personally, I don't like those suicidal, depressed lyrics. Just brings me down, you know? You might think differently. You might feed off the pain like a sick, disgusting, fangorious beast that grows it's powers from other's misery. The Holocaust and 9/11 we're like thanksgiving for you. Haha, just kidding. Your (hopefully) not like that.

Yes, as I've stated a komabauchozazillion times, this record is unique, but it contains alot of epic performances. Kudos, A7x. You've set the bar for Alt-Mtl. Every time I listen to it, it just sends, like, chills down my spine. You know the feeling, right? Well, if you don't, get your ass to the record store and BUY THIS ALBUM and you'll be all good. Avenged Sevenfold = |m|>_<|m|

DrakeTheOne
    There are some really good songs on this Album. IT was kind of good to here them step outside of thier usual Genre for a couple of songs. Afterlife and Dear Good are probably my favorite songs by the band followed by beast and the harlot (City of Evil)
    Chimpwn
    This album was mediocre most of the time, but there were some gems in this album. I don't have to say which, everyone already knows.
    GuitarSully
    This album is amazing, every single song contributes to this factor. Many albums that have come out lately I skip some songs while listening, on this album I love just to listen to every song especially Critical Acclaim. The atmosphere is so different in that song becuase it is one song that actually needs screaming in order to set some people straight. This album just goes to show that M Shadows isn't afraid of any crap he gets for using "unusual" instruments. He puts the right instruments in the right places, I mean come on, A Little Peice of Heaven is just brilliant. And so what if Gunslinger and Dear God puts them in a folk/country direction! Those songs only prove that a metal band can kick ass at other genres of music. And it takes balls to go through like that. Personally, Gunslinger and Dear God are two of my favorite songs.