Avenged Sevenfold review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold

The sound on this album is fantastic, and very well produced. The band took a great new direction with their style, it's still Avenged Sevenfold but just a lot softer, which is not necessarily a bad thing. 01. Critical Acclaim: great intro to the album, very political lyrics. The rants in the verses can be a little unfitting and annoying after multiple listens. The riff in the verses is pretty good, and the solo is good. Not the best song but good. 4/5 02. Almost easy: this song is very catchy, which in my opinion is not really a good thing, because it gets stuck in my head and I don't like the song very much. It's not a bad song it's just a little generic for the band. Good riff and drums though. 3/5 03. Scream: one of my favorite songs on the album. Extremely catchy. The music in the verses can be a little repetitive, but it's not too bad cause it's very good. Somewhat raunchy lyrics, but the whole song just has a sexy vibe. 5/5 04. Afterlife: in my opinion this song is kinda overrated. It's still a very good song though. Not much to say about it, nothing about it really stands out to me, except the absolutely amazing solo. 4/5 05. Gunslinger: one of my favorite songs on the album. I personally like the acoustic intro more than the heavy part, but the whole song is amazing. The guitar solo bleeds emotion, as do the lyrics and vocals 5/5 06. Lost: very good song. Great dueling guitar intro. Alright verses, and an amazing chorus which uses auto tune. 4/5 07. A Little Piece Of Heaven: this song is an absolute masterpiece in my eyes. Fantastic song writing, amazing music, and a mind blowing vocal performance by Shadows and the Rev. Also a great story. By far my favorite song on this, or any of their other albums. 10/5 08. Brompton Cocktail: amazing song. Great vocals, and eerie music. Very odd but cool intro, great verse groove, slightly out of place chorus, and great bridge. 5/5 09. Unbound (the wild ride): amazing, though odd song. Insane piano behind the guitar in the verses. Fantastic vocals. Oh and there is what sounds like a ten year old girl who sings the outro. A lot of people seem to not like it, but i think it really fits the song. my second favorite song on this album. 5/5 10. Dear God: great song. It is basically A7Xs version of a country song. Very emotional lyrics and vocals, and a great long guitar solo to end the album. 5/5

The lyrics on this album are about lots of different thing. Being far from home, war, dying, politics, and necrophilia (A little piece of Heaven) The lyrics all fit the music very well. M. Shadows is my favorite vocalist, he is extremely talented and has a great voice. Also when the Rev does back up vocals it sounds amazing. Rest in Peace Jimmy. You will be remembered foREVer.

This has too be my favorite album of theirs. There are songs on other albums of theirs I like more, this is my overall favorite album of all time. The best songs are A little piece of Heaven, Unbound (the wild ride), and Scream. If this album was stolen I would buy it again within the hour.

Lion_Slicer
    Given that their new album is upon us I've been listening to their older stuff a lot more to have some comparison. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this album... it seemed t me like they were trying to do too much. I mean I'm all for experimentation, but some of their "experiments" here weren't really well thought out or executed. For example: I didn't care for Dear God at all (though Gunslinger is one of the better songs on the album), and the child vocals in Unbound/the vocal effect in Lost ruined both of those songs for me. And A Little Piece of Heaven... wow. That just does not fit in with the rest of the album even a little, let alone that it just annoys me. The rest of the songs are decent but don't strike me the way COE or WTF does. Except for Afterlife, easily one of their best songs ever. Sweet riffs, and tasteful background orchestration, interesting lyrics, catchy chorus, and blazing solo. Maybe not their best, but can't say I hate it. I'd say 5 or 6 out of 10--average to decent.Actually I'm going to go listen to the whole thing now haha.
    james555
    Jesus Christ! why can't we have news, reviews, or interviews without anyone fighting! its always "oh this band is better than this 1" or "this band sucks hear this 1 instead"... well people, IF U DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT SOMETHING OR SOME1, THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING