City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold return with their major lable debut and it sounds absolutely brilliant. The guitar work is as creative as ever, and, althought M. Shadows may not scream anymore, his voice still sounds fantastic. He really shows off how well he can sing on this record. The band experiment a lot more with sound in this CD, with the use of violins and mexican sounding guitar solo's. It works really well for them.

A7X are good lyricists, not great, but still good. This album explores a lot more than the previous in terms of song meaning and I think there has been an immense improvment in lyrics. Seize The Day is a beautiful song that is the expected slow song of the album (the Warmness on the Soul and I Won't See You Tonight of the CD). The lyrics suit the music perfectly, with opener Beast and The Harlot having words that are exactly what you'd expect in such a power-metal-esque song.

This album is fantastic. There's no other way of describing it. I was anxious to see what A7X would come up with after releasing the brilliance that is Waking The Fallen, but they have done themselves proud. This album is a must have for all metal fans.