City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

This CD I actually picked up the day it came out, something I rarely do unless I'm really into the band. I had heard the songs "The Beast And The Harlot" and "Trashed And Scattored Before" and did like them a lot, but they also brought diffrent expectations for me. I was expecting a complete metal CD. To my suprise I was wrong, it was an extremely unique styly, I loved it. Being a musician one of the maing things I listen to is the flow of everything and the technicalness of it and making sure its not 3 cheesy power chords. The music over all is amazing. The guitarists on this CD have amazing lead and rhythm riffs. The songs would even sound amazing instrumental with all the melodic lead guitar going on. Rev (drummer) has even shown some amazing improvement compared to old works. songs like Sidewinder and The Wicked End even through in new things not many bands do. Such as the flamenco guitar ending in the song Sidewinder. One of my favorite things being that the guitar is panned out on it and switches from left to right giving it a completely amazing effect. And the full orchestra and choir on the wicked end brings things to a higher level then what most bands do, like using just strings. This is by far the best rock album so far in 2005. You don't half to be an A7X fan to pick it up, just a fan of good music.

To be honest at the beginning I wasnt to into the vocals, but after a while I did get used to them and have grown to love them. Lyric-wise I like the songs, and to come up with about 6 minutes worth of lyrics for each song is quite a challenge. I really like a lot of the backround vocals too, except in strength of the world, that would be my only complaint. But over all I love them. Shadows lyrics and singing in this new CD.

Completely amazing CD. One of my favorite rock CD's. I usually despise a lot of music out there for its poor musical skill and only listen to a lot of the rock I do for pure entertaintment not to be impressed. But this CD really does both. All of the musical skill in this CD is just flat out mind blowing. This CD was put together extremely well in every single aspect. If you want to hear amazing music by amazing musicians definetly pick up this CD. If I could give this CD a 10 rating I defintetly would.