City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Out of sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking The Fallen and City Of Evil, this one has got to be the best out of the lot, purely because of the variety of the music used in it (just listen to Sidewinder). Even though there are different sounds in this album, it has still got that A7X feel to it with the simply amazing guitar work done by synester and Zacky. And you can actually hear the bass guitar really well on this album unlike WTF in particular. Avenged are one of the few bands who can try different styles, make it sound awsome and still keep there own originality about it (take note Linkin Park) the music by avenged also appeals greatly to both genders unlike My Chemical Romance who are only a hit now because they wear face paint now and their vocalist is supposedly good looking with virtually every girl with no musical knowledge turning up at their gigs to look at Gerard Way and start crying.

The lyrics produced by Avenged Sevenfold can be seen in two ways: same old depressing lyrics, whats the difference between these and other bands who write this kind of stuff? Or it can be seen as a well structured piece of lyrical genius. I would edge for the second reason, but only because the lyrics fit so amazingly well with the music. the one thing that dissapointed me was M Shadows voice. I thought it was totally awsome on WTF. Shame about him having to control the screams which he did really well on that album. I would give 3.5 to the lyrics if I could but seeing as I cant I'm going for 4 because I'm a massive avenged fan and I'm biased.

After litening to WTF and COE about a million times each, I think that COE is just about better than WTF (STST was too screamo I thought). Give it a few years and I think Avenged will have a massive impact on the world as no matter what music you listen to you've got to give credit to the guitar work and even though the reverend on drums hardly gets a mention, he deserves to because he's also quality. Avenged Sevenfold are the new Maiden, and if they keep pumping out those 6min+ songs like there doing now then they are going to be huge. If it was stolen I would kick the buggers head in that stole it and then go home and listen to it for a day solid. If I couldn't find him/her that stole it I would have to wait until there is a sale in my local music store to buy it again because I'm jobless.