City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold have developed another masterpiece that expands on what Waking The Fallen left off. Almost each song on this album sounds different like the sweet acoustic ending on sidewinder to the Cradle Of Filth sounding middle part of the Wicked End. Synster Gates and Zacky Vengence show off more guitar talent than in Waking The Fallen, there's a solo in each track and the Rev knows how to drum.

Everyone keeps ragging on M. Shaddows for not screaming anymore but he found a way to make his new voice work on this album. His voice does sound nasally but I've heard him live and sings in a more barritone level. The lyrics on this album are straight forward. I think Sidewinder has the stupidest lyrics(it's basically about a snake slowly killing a man) and Betrayed tells Dimebag's killer's view of why he shot him. Seize the Day is a chessy GN'R sounding ballad but is a great sounding song demonstrating M. Shaddow's vocal capabilities and a sweet sounding solo that is the best in my opinon on this album. MIA guess what that one's about, a soilder's anti-war point of view at a war.

I had waited for this album to come out for months and was not dissapointed. At first I felt Waking the Fallen but after listening to City Of Evil about 25 times now I think this is a better sounding album. Best tracks are Burn It Down, Blinded In The Chains, Strength Of The World with it's western sounding intro leading up to an intense guitar intro, Seize The Day, and MIA with it's recycled, but different sounding intro from And All Things Will End from Waking The Fallen. If it were stolen I'd find the person who stole it and lock him in a room playing Mariah Carey on a loop and then buy this album again.