City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

This CD is amazing. The guitar work is phenomenal. Gates and Vengeance do an awesome job. The guitar harmonies throughout the disc is awesome. The Rev's drumming has improved greatly. I honestly think that any "real" musician will love the instrumentation on this disc. "Sidewinder" ends with two emxican guitars soloing back and forth. It's truly amazing. The solo at the end of "MIA" is great. They kind of shifted gears from hardcore to a more metal sound. Best guitar and drum work since bands like Metallica and Megadeth.

The lyrics are excellent as well. "The Beast And The Harlot" goes along with Revelation 18. "Seize The Day" is also lyrically excellent, "Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost." I kind of miss the screaming from previous A7X albums. The vocals on this CD are alot different then waking the fallen and sounding the seventh trumpet. Shadows does an excellent job though, even with his throat problems. Synester Gates and Zacky Vengeance also do an excellent job with backing vocals.

As a hardcore kid I like waking the fallen better, but as a guitarist I like City Of Evil. So I'm torn on which A7X is better. Regardless, this is an awesome album that any musician should have. The best songs are "Sidewinder," "The Beast And The Harlot," and "MIA." If this CD were stolen I would skip school, work or anything to go buy it again. It's truly amazing.