City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

The sound is absolute stutter. I love this album musically! Even though the vocals were not what I expected, I grew to love them as well. I give this a 9 because the vocal work wasn't as great ad Waking The Fallen singing, instead it was nasally and a bit whiney (ex. Burn It Down). I understand he was having vocal problems, but I really think he should of atleast attempted to do a little bit of the Waking The Fallen-ish kind of style. Overall for sound: great guitars, lots of longer and more rich sounding solos than the previous albums, and well done vocals (even though it wasn't what I expected). 01. Synyster Gates - great leading on this album, could of done better, but very well done 10/10. 02. Johnny Christ - finally! You can actually hear the bass more clear on this album (especially Blinded In Chains, loving the bass solo) 9/10. 03. Zacky Vengeance - great rythm, but could of tried to be more unique on the beats than basic power chording 8/10. 04. The Rev - wow! Just wow! he done soo much on this album. Double bass, awesome snare lines, and most importantly, very focused on the beats with the guitar 10/10. 05. M.shadows - great vocal work, was expecting more, but still absoultly entertaining. A little bit of a mix of Axl Rose and Mike Patton 10/10.

I expected more in the lyrics! After listening to Waking The Fallen, I was expecting more deep rich tales from the bible (the reason I don't rate this any lower than a 9 is because their was some biblical references in majority of the songs, but not as deep). Not saying they are a Christian rock band, just saying I love how they take the most interesting bible stories and bring them to life in their music. You'd expect for them to talk about death and stuff like that, but instead they take you through a journey of stories and almost makes you feel like you are experiencing something unique on your own. Very good lyrics overall, but not as good and deep as Waking The Fallen was.

I love this album! Took me a few listens to get use to it, but now I can't stop listening to this masterpiece. Avenged Sevenfold is the leader of the next rock revolution of the 21st Century! If it wasn't for Warner Brothers, who knows where they would be right now! Avenged will continue to make great music even after this album, each album is it's own sound and most indefinitly will progress throough each one.