City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

I am a newcomer to A7X and I must say, as someone who primarily listens to shred, I was very impressed with the virtuosity and technical ability of Synster Gates and Zacky Vengence. I love how they mix metal and shred together, it just sounds phenominal. From heavy riffs, shred solos, flamenco playing, acoustic and orchestral breakdowns, A7X have done a great job with this CD.

M. Shadows is a great vocalist and writer. Each song really tells a certain story and he really knows how to express his thoughts in each song. He really knows how to sing in a way that really complements the song. I am also glad he doens't sing like all of the other singers out today, no growling in the place of vocals, and that sets him apart from everyone else in the heavy music industry. My only complaint about the vocals is the can get a little whiney and nasally which gets pretty annoying at times.

A7X are in a league of their own. No band today can really match their style, ability, and musicianship. Right now, I love almost every song. The only one I don't like would be Seize The Day. It's not a bad song but I just can't stand listening to it for over two minutes. There are some impressive solos on this album and that is a major plus. Other than the nasally vocals, my only other complaint would be how some of the dark sounding songs have happy sounding parts in them and that gets pretty annoying. If this were stolen, (not likely) I would buy the album again to listen to on the way going to kick the person who stole my CD ass. This is a great album.