City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

The music was awesome, but I noticed that it was kind of repetitive on some songs. Well to check out what they used in this album just go to your windows media player and look up Avenged Sevenfold until you run across an Interview video 4 & 5. All the guitars in this album are dropped D tuning which is also cool. I noticed that most choruses and verses were pretty easy to play (besides solos) which was kind of bad. There's a lot of guitar that sounds complicated only because there's a whole bunch of palm muting in between every single note. And I didn't really enjoy the slow songs.

I enjoyed the lyrics a lot, especially for the song "Burn It Down" which is my favorite. I noticed that there was less screaming which I find fine. And the back up singing isn't bad at all. If you read the lyrics you can find a certain story to each of them. The singing is great, but I hated the little break down part in the middle of Burn It Down (with the palm mutes and string bends) when Shadow starts to go "Yeah!" and he sounds like some over dramatic R&B singer.

I don't know what other albums I can compare this to, because it's very different. The most impressive songs are numbers 1-4 and #8. I love all the guitar riffs and double bass drums, but I thought the guitars were a little too easy and boring during verses and choruses, I would've liked it better if Syn and Zacky would play different parts during the Choruses and verses for a change (besides harmonizing solos and riffs, I'd have enough of that with Bat Country) I hate that there are so many over-lapping guitar chords and notes. Like during the harmonizing solo of Bat Country there is other guitars playing a rythm part! Just give that part to johnny! This CD is already in my iPod so I wouldn't care if it got stolen.