City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

My first impression on this album was what the hell! I heard a lot good reviews about this CD and decided to give it a listen. I must say that it was overhyped. And I also heard a lot of bad reviews about it. But hey I'm an open minded and decided to give it a listen. It was a mixed feeling, I was in Awe as listened to guitars on this album. The guitars are pure gold, I couldn't believe some guitar solos, it was awesome. Also the Drums were just amazing, again pure gold. With a good things come the bad, the vocals were so-so, sometimes his voice comes off as winey, sometimes it sounded good. I was a bit disappointed that there was no screaming on this album, but hey they made it up with the guitars and drums.

I didn't get to read the lyrics and basically couldn't understand it because as I said before M. Shadows voice is very winey and sometimes annoyed the hell out of me. It reminded me of the guitarist of System Of A Down which sucked. I was a bit dissapointed by the sound of the vocalist. But they made it up with the guitars and drums.

My reaction was mixed, it's like meeting a beautiful girl with a nasty "grill." I thought the drums and guitars were bloody amazing, but the vocals is a bit annoying at times. Which for me is hard to overlook because I'm a voclist myself. But overall a good album.