City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold's old stuff is full of screams, great heavy riffs, and face-melting solos, so when they came out with City Of Evil, when I went to buy it, that is exactly what I expected it to be. I never once imagined it would be the great melodic CD that it is. After I listened to it once through, I fell in love with it. I was an avid Avenged Sevenfold addict before, and I never thought I could like them any more, but this CD gave me a new respect for them. Every one of their songs has impossibly hard, great guitar riffs, and the singing is great. It starts with Beast And The Harlot. This song is alright, but can get boring after a while. Burn it Down is possibly the greatest song on the CD. I love how it can go from such a heavy bridge to such a melodic ending. Blinded In Chains is one of the heaviest songs on the album, and it is definately awesome. Bat Country is great up until the end. the end kinda made me cringe. for such a great song, I think they could have come up with a better ending but I still like it. Trashed And Scattered is a great example of the great guitar players they have. it has some great riffs. Seize The Day is the acoustic hit on this album. I really like it. I know some people that are just like "ugh it sux what a waste of a track" but I think it's awesome. Sidewinder is probly my 3rd fav song on the CD. I just really like the guitar playing and singing in this song. The Wicked End is great. I love how they could throw a choir and string section orchestra into this song its sooo good. Strength Of The World is an OK song. It takes a while to get to the point. Betrayed has some great guitar playing. I have to say its tied for 2nd fav on the CD. I love the vocals. And Finally, MIA. MIA has some really good acoustic and clasical guitars on it. Its a really interesting song to listen to.

The lyrics are great. If you read them and listen really closely to them, there is really a lot of biblical influence. for example: in "Beast And The Harlot" when it says "And there sat a sevenheaded beast, ten horns rose from its head" that's straight out of Revelation In The Bible. The lyrics really went well with the music, and M. Shadows really demonstrates his singing ability in this album.

I love this album. This is there best album yet. I love everything about it. The most impressive songs in order are probly Burn It Down, Betrayed, Trashed And Scattered, Bat Country, Sidewinder, The Wicked End. If this were stolen, I would buy 2 more, just so if it got stolen again, I'd have another one.