City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

My first thoughts were like "Can't wait to listen to this!" and I put it on and bam! It hit me like a ton of bricks. This album by Avenged Sevenfold has to be one of the greatest albums of 2005. They're sound is a little different on this one. Sounds more like Guns N' Roses/Iron Maiden unlike their last couple which had more of a Bad Religion sound.

The lyrics really fit the songs well and some of the subject matter. For example MIA (track 11) is about the war in Iraq which was probably a dead give away. Although M. Shadows blew out his vocals and lost the screamo thing and worked with Axl Rose's voice coach to get his voice back they sounded a bit nasally but overall still pretty awesome.

I say this album compares to Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All. Although some others will probably compare it to Master of Puppets but its more like Ride the Lightning with some biblical references (IE. on Ride The Lightning you have Creeping Death and on City Of Evil you have The Wicked End). Some of the best songs include Beast And The Harlot, Burn It Down, Bat Country, Trashed And Scattered, Seize The Day, Sidewinder, MIA, Betrayed. I'd definatley buy this again if it got lost or stolen.