City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 3.7 Poor
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

The sound is decend. Some of the riffs are good. You can definatly tell that they switched labels because their sound is alot happier and not as raw. Which is a bad thing. They do have some fairly decent solos on their album but when they play live, they really cant play them that well at all. They use a completly different guitar tone then on Waking The Fallen which I thought was their greatest and is a masterpeice. The guitar playing is the only thing holding this album togehter.

I hate it. He sings and it sounds so gay. They just took the money route into gayness and sang. I loved how he screamed in Waking The Fallen then would sing. His singing was so rare that it was refreshing and had meaning and was soulful. Now they just sound like some other stupid emo band on MTV. Horrible. He sings really high and gay. He needs to start screaming again quick because this album makes him look like a pussy. I don't find the lyrics to have as much of a impact on me as Waking The Fallen. They don't have any thourough meaning. Waking The Fallen was gradually a story. A dark, myseterious story that was told fantasticly. This album has no central meaning and was basically made just so they could capitalize off the fact that they are now part of a major record label and can make money. I don't like the singing at all. The screaming was the best.

I hate this album. It's so sad to see how such a great band with such great songwriting skills could turn into the generic MTV band. They used to be unique now they just aren't. Although they aren't my favorite band (Metallica is) I see this album as the st. Anger of A7X. I hate it and I hate the fact that a once really good underground band is now a blown out of proportion gay sounding emo band. They aren't as heavey in this album then in others and its way to melodic. It sounds happy and nowhere near as soulful as Waking The Fallen. The lack of screaming is just completly unlike A7X as their genre was once screamo. In music their are two roads. One road is creating great music and not making as much money, and the other is making other peoples music that stinks like shit and making a huge amount of money and being famous. Sadly they took the second road. It's really sad that they went this way. I bought this record not knowing what to expect and all it did was make me sad. I wouldn't buy it nor download it again because I never listen to it. If it were stolen I would be happier that I am left alone with their career masterpeice and unfortunatly a thing of the past. I hate this album. Most true fans do to.