City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged sevenfold are the band everyone slags off and insults, I don't think many could insult after listening to this album, with it's deadly guitar riffs and brilliant guitar combination & guitar and bass combination, as well as some well timed and varied drumming, city of evil should really silence their critics. It may only have 11 songs but it is not a short album by any means, each song counting nearly five minutes at least. Packed with plenty of guitar solos, 1 in virtually every song. The playing style has changed slightly from previous albums but I think it has paid off.

The lyrics combine with the music very well and in some songs the guitar mimics the vocals perfectly, some may compare the vocals to that of faith no more. Shadows singing skills seem to have improve from previous albums and the rythm goes well with the music. However the vocal look like they would be hard to play live and recordings would have to be put in on some songs.

This album competes with the best of them. The most impressive songs for me are bat country, trashed and scattered and MIA which is slow to get into but turns into a great song. If all my CD's were stolen, this would be the first I would replace, and I have a lot of CD's.