City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

This CD is amazing, and I'm sick of hearing people bash it. The sound is much different from their previous records, no screaming, crazier guitar playing, etc. Personally, I think that their music has gotten progressively better with each CD, while many will disagree with this. It is just one of those cds that you either love or hate, but definately give it a listen if you have a chance. And if you read my Waking the Fallen review, disregard it. I wrote it when I haden't really listen closely to this CD!

I don't know why, but the cursing gets annoying. Everything else is great. Some of the songs tell a story, like The Beast and the Harlot. The songs whose lyrics stuck out to me that I can think of right now are M.I.A., Seize The Day, and Sidewinder. The lyrics go great with the music, and the singing is good. Though at the end of M.I.A. M. Shadows' voice gets annoying because he gets up to really high notes and sounds like he has a cock stuck up his nose.

This is their best album, hands down. A7X are now one of my favorite bands. Here is my breakdown of each song: 01. The Beast And The Harlot - good song, but some parts could've been better. Great guitar playing and awesome solo, though. 02. Burn It Down - very good song. Another cool solo and sweet guitar riffs. 03. Blinded In Chains - Political song. Would've been a ten if some of the dumb parts were shaved off to make the song shorter. 04. Bat Country - good song, but got annoying after hearing it all of the time. Great solo and I love the sweep picking. Check out my tab of this song! 05. Trashed And Scattered - (boy it's hard to get a ten out of me) good, but the bridge parts are kinda gay. Awesome guitars again. 06. Sieze The Day - slower song, but very good. The sweep solo at the end is amazing, and the lyrics are great. 07. Sidewinder - this song is good all the way through. Cool Spanish guitars in the end, awesome guitar-especially the dual solo(amazing) and sweep part is very cool, great lyrics, you can't go wrong here. 08. The Wicked End - some parts could be cut. I remember the 1st time I listened to the lead intro music and just being like WOW! I have to learn that. I also think that the prechorus (only music part) has some of the best music on the CD. 09. Strength Of The World - cool, heavy riffs, nice dual guitar work, acoustic and slide guitars used also. Long song, but good all the way through. Starts out slow, but picks up. 10. Betrayed - this song did not hold my attention past the nice intro music. I know it's a tribute to Dimebag, but it sucks nonetheless. 11. MIA - I could go on forever about this song, it is probably my favorite (probably). My favorite guitar work on the cd and maybe ever is after the second chorus, where Zacky and Synyster play the dual part. It goes great with the lyrics. The music all the way thru is great and holy shitzu, the solo is crazy! Awesome lyrics. M.I.A. and Sidewinder are my favorites on the CD, but every song except Betrayed was impressive. I would buy it again in a heartbeat if anything happened to it.