City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold's sound is un-believable in my own opinion. There aren't that many bands that can pull off an album so fully packed with great songs and screeching guitar riffs made by Zacky and Synyster. It's so amazing how creative this band can be with their music, from clever licks from Zacky and Synster, to The Rev's beats on the drums. As soon as you hear The Beast and The Harlot you know its an Avenged Sevenfold record. Although different from less screaming due to M. Shadow's surgery. The A7X is still there. You can also pickout the influences throughout this packed CD. Such as the heavy power chords from The Misfits and the crazy solos from Guns N' Roses. This is a power-packed album.

Although I am a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan, I am not that very fond of M. Shadow's overall singing skills. But his singing skills somehow blend in with the different styles of music contributed into this album. Even throughout the album M. Shadow's lets out some of his influences like in the song Trashed & Scattered, you can hear him pulling off his Axl Rose singing. But he still shows his softer side of his voice such as in Seize The Day. I love the lyrics though, unlike some bands with the same old rubbage they repeat every song. M. Shadow's tells a story with his lyrics that he preachs.

With my overall impression of this album, I think it is a great follow up to Waking The Fallen. The songs are heavy and sometimes catchy and wants to make you listen more and more. Some songs that really impressed me on this album were: "The Beast And The Harlot", "Burn It Down", "Bat Country", "The Wicked End" and "M.I.A.". There is something about the guitar riffs and solos in this album that makes me as soon as I hear it pick up a guitar and play along with it. If this album was stolen or lost I would buy it again for sure. This album is a complete masterpiece!