City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

I didn't like avenged sevenfold's sound on this album. I know that Avenged Sevenfold tried to write this album on the road so that must have been a factor of the album's sound, they also switched record lables, so that's probably another reason why they have a diffrent sound. I can tell that they went in a more melodic direction, on Zacky and Synyster's part(guitars). They've personaly gotten worse overall, other then the fact that the guitars kind of improved, because they have more solos now.

the lyrics seem darker then their last album (Waken The Fallen). for example the song "The Wicked End" is all about armagedon and wen jesus is coming back for judgment day. their getting too dark for their genre. they should stick 2 love problems and cutting. I hate that they don't scream any more, their sellouts, just because their new record company told them to stop screaming they did! M.Shadow is a great singer but this album kills it for him!

No this album doesn't compare to any other album they have released, or any other album I've ever heard. the ONLY songs I like are the "Wiked End", "Bat Country", and "Strength Of The World." I like the guitar techniques they use on this album, with the arpegios, to sweeps, to the tremelo picking, and great solos. but I don't like the fact that they don't scream anymore! I wouldn't replace this album if it were stolen or lost, I have better Avenged Sevenfold albums (Waking The Fallen, and Sounding The Seventh Trumpet) .