City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

This album is very different from their previous album, Waking the Fallen. Their singer, M. Shadow, no longer screams like he did in like every song on WTF (Waking The Fallen). The guitar work on City of Evil is really awesome, like the song M.I.A for example. The dual guitar solo's are a thing of beauty, like the song Bat Country. The guitar work just flows throughout every song. "Sidewinder" really shows off their talent, and they end it with a amazing acoustic solo, and I personally wish they would have kept going with it. "The Wicked End" is another amazing song, with a orchestra part coming in around the middle of the song.

The lyrics hit in to the songs nicely. The song "Beast And The Harlot" is taken from the Bible, in the book of Revelations, "Blinded In Chains" shows the bands view of war, and "Seize The Day" is a emotionally packed song. "Betrayed" is a song dedicated to Dimebag (R.I.P), and "M.I.A" sort of takes inside the mind of a soldier in the war. M. Shadows voice has certainly changed since Waking the Fallen, but they are still great.

This band has definitely changed since their last two albums, and according to them, they're going to change with again for their 4th album. The songs that stick out the most when I hear this are a bunch; The Wicked End, Sidewinder, M.I.A, and Betrayed. But, I still love all the other songs on the album. Avenged Sevenfold are a bunch of young talented people. If this was ever stolen, I would definitely buy it again, after I hunt down the creep that took it at least.