City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold has dropped screaming cold turkey. After M. Shadows's vocal surgery, he does not scream any more. But that is not neccessiraly a bad thing. Now that the screaming is gone Synester and Zacky needed to imrove their guitar now that it is hearable. With M. Shadows's clean, powerful voice, Synester Gate's and Zacky Vengeance's dueling harmonies and demonic riffs, Johnny Christ's low sounding bass breakdowns, and last but not least the Rev's insane feet and hands pounding away at the drums Avenged Sevenfolds new sound is nothing to complain about.

Since M. Shadows has stopped screaming entirely he gives Avenged Sevenfold a more powerful sound. About the lyrics themselves, what can you say, the members of Avenged Sevenfold were kicked out of bible school. The opening song is about the fallen city of Babylon, and the following songs are about topics that range from wars, to just "piss off" songs, to songs about family members being killed, songs about life, songs about the end of the world, and a song about traveling through "Bat Country".

City of Evil, in my opinion, is just as good as Waking the Fallen, and better than Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. I didn't mind the screaming in previous albums, but I also don't care if there is no screaming. I love the improved guitar work and the harmonized solos. A lot of the riffs are cool. As a bassist, I love the bass breakdowns in song such as "Blinded In Chains" and "Trashed And Scattered". I like all the songs on the album and this is one of the few albums that I can sit down, and listen to it all the way through. But, if I had to choose my favorites they would be: Beast And The Harlot, Trashed And Scattered, Seize The Day, The Wicked End, and M.I.A. If some one stole this album I'd buy a new one. (I getting sick of hearing what peeople would "do" to people if they stole it). Whatevs, just go buy this one. Period.