City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Compared to there older albums, City of Evil is a more mature album, it has many different sounds in it. There are some heavier parts such as bat country, betrayed, blinded in chains. And there are also some softer songs i.e. Seize The Day, M.I.A. Some of there songs even change from heavy screaming and loud guitars to quieter sounding parts, like Sidewinder and Strength of the World. In the song The Wicked End they even use a string orchestra. Syn even said himself that he has difficulty playing the songs live because he worked so hard in studio.

The lyrics can be rather emo at times (seize the day) but they still have meaning, every song off City of Evil has some sort of meaning. M.I.A. and blinded in chains are about wars (this is not an anti-war album or anti-war song it's just what it's about). the lyrics fit in very well with the music with a few odd times where I'dve removed or added vocals and/or changed the lyrics. M.Shadows' vocals have not been the same since he had the surgery. Compared to waking the fallen this was a terrible vocal performance by him. If your not a huge fan of the screaming he did in the old albums however, I recommend you give this one a listen, he rarely screams in anymore.

Out of the 3 albums released, I'd say this is the 2nd best one. The drummin g is much better on CoE then any other album and the there is even two little bass solos that add to the greaqtness of this album. If your not sure wether you like the album, check out the songs M.I.A. Bat Country and Trashed And Scattered. They are the best 3 on the album in my opinion.

SuperRitsu
    ... wats with all the dates being on may 1st? when i saw my update list it said 69 new updates all from a7x so i was thinking "wtf?!" so i checked it out and... saw all these date changes.. either 69 people made a review od one day or someone changed the dates
    pfricky98
    Judas_rising wrote: SynysterGates is right, I dont see what all the hype about dragonforce is.True,they have got technical prowess...but thats as far as it goes.A7X is one of the best new bands to come out,along with BFMV and Mastodon to name a few and Synester Gates is prolly making those a-holes who thought being able to play crappy interludes from imple Plan or Blink182 tracks made them guitar gods wanna hang themselves. May A7x kick the pants off this current music scene which ppl call "rock".
    A7x isn't a new band they have been around for about 7 or 8 years. i'm also not that impressed by synester gates guitar playing. yea he is good and can play fast but alot of people can do that. just because he can play a good solo doesn't make him a "guitar god". i don't really mind a7x but i don't think they are anything great. they are just a regular old metal band to me playing some fast notes over some riff.
    k-lap
    Everyone says Matt can't scream anymore but he can. I've heard the story a million times; he blew a blood vessel screaming on stage blah blah blah. I saw them live in november 2005 and they were playing older songs and he was doing his screaming and sounded fine. He can still do it, he just chooses not to. AS for the record i couldn't listen to it after i heard it 3 times, his voice is just so nasally and annoying.
    eater
    DAMN this is the best hardcore metal band that I have ever heard!!!