City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

As a first I've been an Avenged Sevenfold fan for a while now and enjoy all of their songs, covers 'n' all. I'm not the one who generally goes for the "metal" scene but from listening to them I've been more appreciative of different bands and has improved my own styles of playing. "City Of Evil" has certainly shown a lot more maturity and style difference from Avenged Sevenfold's older albums like "Sounding Of The Seventh Trumpet" (a personal favourite album of mine). Even though M Shadows voice has been tempered with, he still proves Avenged Sevenfold have that hardcore metal sound about them. I was very impressed with the track "Sidewinder" as they have been able to mix sound effects, different styles of music and their own "personal" touches to it. It certainly proves they aren't just about fast bass drum patterns and ripping solos and loud bass lines. Good Move. I hope for their next album they will be able to accomplish more stunning sounds like they have done with "City Of Evil", but not totally the same.

Lyrics. The finishing touch to a perfect song. It's far from the easiest thing that an artist has to perfect. As far as I can hear and read Sevenfold have done an incredible job with the. Warning: They easily get stuck in your head! Never in my msn name have there not been Avenged Sevenfold lyrics. Some of the punchiest lines like "I'll make a beast out of myself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Or "Sometimes I cry because my future looks so bleak." The great thing through out this album is the relationship between the vocals and melody, a lot of bands can't do this well enough and end up sounding rubbish. M Shadows, Zacky Vengeance and Synister Gates are an incredible team. No matter what they always impress me with their talent to interweive with each other. Unfortunatly for screaming Sevenfold fans, this album won't impress so much, M Shadows does not scream every last syllibol as he will eventually lose it. But to make up for the loss of the screaminess he brings in a more destinctive, powerful voice which expresses the transition of going from a strictly screaming metal band to a legendary versitile metal band. Well done M!

"City Of Evil" doesn't sit with my collection of my other albums even my old favourite band The Offspring! The most impressive song on the album, personally, is Strength of the world. I think Avenged Sevenfold know how to structure a pefect, over 5 mintues song, with out listeners becoming bored and flicking on to next track "Betrayed". And again. Another amazing song. I just love the whole album, I really do. Ok, so sometimes I flick tracks, but don't we all? The only think I can say against this album is the front of the album cover, it's quite scary. If lost. I'd replace it. If you had any taste: you would too.