City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

The third studio album to be released by this band, City Of Evil does not disappoint. It is a shame that Shadows isn't able to scream anymore, because some of the emotion seems to just not be there anymore, but that isn't bad, my only complaint is that the producer seems to really like the treble a little too much.

The lyrics are a little more refined, this makes a double edged sword. The good side is that it helped the band to find its own sound. the down side is that it took away from the raw emotion (Which I happen to like very much). Personally, I did notice something that was really cool to me. a little symbolism it seemed, as in the beginning, during the introduction of "Beast And The Harlot," in the background, Shadows starts with a scream much like his older style, and slowly lets it transition into more vocalizing.

Overall, it's an excellent album, even if it might be the least impressive of them all, but it is barely beaten out by STST, because the pure anger and emotion slightly outweigh the many dual guitar parts in this album. And it goes to show, just because Shadows is incapable of screaming throughout the album, it's not weakened beyond all reason.