City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold's sound has improved since waking the fallen. Even though waking the fallen was excellent, the screaming kind of made it hard to appreciate the guitars, and something else important, the drums. I enjoyed all the different instruments, like the bass in "The Wicked End", the amazing classical guitar at the end of "Sidewinder" and, of course, the amazing guitar solos. I did not like the intro to "Strength Of The World" on the other hand, because it was out of pace, especially after "The Wicked End's" powerful guitar and bass. All in all I believe the sound has improved, over time.

The lyrics have greatly improved, compared to "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet". M. Shadow's voice is excellent, even after his vocal surgery. Shadows sings every song powerfully and emotionally, giving them strength and making them memorable. I don't have much bad to say about the lyrics, as they are well written, making each song a story you want to hear again and again. The lyrics harmonize excellently with each song, sounding right and true with each one. M. Shadows vocal skills have improved, his range and strength have gotten better.

This album is a great one, easily in my top 5. Avenged Sevenfold is a great band, and I love the sound of the thrashing metal guitars, the powerful bass, and pulse-pounding drums. There isn't much I don't like, besides the lame intro to strength of the world.I believe the most powerful, memorable song is Sidewinder, but Bat Country, Trashed and Scattered and The Wicked End are great as well. If this CD was stolen, I would catch the guy who took it, congratulate him on his fine taste in music, and then beat him with a baseball bat and take it back.