City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold's Music writing skills are amazing. All of their songs on this CD blow me away. There are many elements of Hard rock, heavy metal, and power ballads, shredding Guitar solos, bass solos, and very fast and creative drumming. The song "Beast and the Harlot", was voted the 14th best riff ever in Guitar Magazine. Now I will tell what I think of the songs on this CD: 01.Beast and the Harlot: amazing song, Great Riff, and an amazing solo, lyrics tell a story, and great drumming 9/10 02.Burn it down: very good song, very fast paced, Very good singing, good guitar work. 9/10 03.Blinded in Chains: great song, it's always fun to listen to, Very good bass solo. 9/10 04.Bat Country: one of my Favorites on the CD, lyrics are based off of a book "Fear and loathing in las Vegas", an Amazing solo, great sweep picking by synyster gates, and zacky vengence. 10/10 05.Trashed and Scattered: good song, very good bass line from Johnny, singing is alright, but not amazing. 8.5/10 06.Seize the Day: one of the best songs on the CD, great solo from synyster, and good use of acoustic guitar, lyrics are very meaningful, and almost sad. 9.5/10 07.Sidewinder: it's a good song, I wouldn't say it is amazing though, there is a very good acoustic guitar solo at the end, pretty good singing also. 08.The Wicked End: good song, good guitar work, bassist and drummer work good together, and some references to the bible also. 8.5/10 09.Strength of the World: very good song, very good acoustic guitar intro, and good use of violins, a little too long for my taste, but it's overall a good song. 9/10 10.Betrayed: I like this song a lot, very good singing, and the song is a tribute to dimebag, good drumming, and good guitar playing, very good riff, and a cool bass line. 9.5/10 11.M.I.A: good song, very long also, the name probably gives away the meaning of the song, obviously about someone being in a war, and being Missing In Action. Nothing special when it comes to singing though. 8/10 Overall I think that the CD deserves a 10/10 because none of the songs are bad, and they are all very enjoyable to listen too.

I am very impressed with most of the Lyrics on this CD. Every song has meaningful lyrics, and every song has a point that they are trying to get across. The hit single "Bat Country" is based on a book called "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", which has to do with a man doing drugs while in Las Vegas. Betrayed is a tribute to Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott who was the guitarist for pantera, who got shot when he was playing live. The song "Beast and the Harlot" is about the fall of Babylon the Great from the book of revelation. They lyrics also fit the music very well, they try different things, but I think that they pull it off. The singer M. Shadows is amazing, he can go from very intense screams to very melodic singing, and also can sing with lots of emotion, such as on the song Seize the Day.

Comparing this to other Avenged Sevenfold albums I think that it is the strongest album they have made so far, and they are definitly one of the most sucessful modern metal/hard rock bands out there, everyone in the band has talent, and they all do a good job of making music, and working well together. The most impressive songs on the album are "Beast and the Harlot", "Bat Country", "Trashed and Scattered" "Burn it Down", "Blinded in Chains", and "Seize the Day". The things that I Love about this album are the songwriting, Guitar riffs, and solos, and the singing. If it were lost or stolen I would without a doubt buy it again.