City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil
0

Sound — 10
This is the album that marked a major sound change, and commercial success for Avenged Sevenfold. Musically, this album is a much more metal oriented outing than the previous effort, Waking The Fallen. The tempos are often very fast, tons of harmonized leads, solos, double bass, and more. There is also a lot more attitude on this album, with a Guns N' Roses feel a lot of the time. This definitely isn't metal core, I'd label it as Hard Rock with a lot of Maiden/Pantera influence. Synyster Gats does an excellent job on the CD, as does The Rev at drumming. Zacky does his job, and Johnny Christ falls victim to the root note curse of metal/rock. M. Shadows vocals no longer feature screamo type vocals, but more traditional screaming and singing. His voice at times is weak on this CD, most likely due to blowing it out during touring. His voice is much better on the follow up record, Avenged Sevenfold. The vocal melodies and harmonies are excellent, though.

Lyrics — 8
The lyrics all fit the songs, and are, for the most part, delivered well. While there are times when M. Shadow's vocals sound a bit forced, other times they come off very well. Shadow's voice might not be for everyone, but many people will find it enjoyable. He has a decent range (much better in the previous and next album, though), powerful presentation and a lot of great melodies and harmonies.

Overall Impression — 9
City of Evil is a great addition to any hard rock/classic metal fan's collection. Beast and Harlot is very powerful, Bat Country has attitude and a killer solo, Sieze The Day has a very Slash inspired emotional solo, and Sidewinder has a great beat and acoustic outro. While some old A7X fans might not like their direction with this album, I would definitely say it was a much needed step. This is the fastest A7X has ever been, and the most Iron Maiden influenced. The next album will slow the tempo down and go for a more heavy, mature sound, but for this album it's all about being over the top, heavy and fast.

31 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Cableguy4
    (due no doubt to the singer, M. Shadows, having to have vocal chord surgery),??? this never happened, M Shadows mearly wnated to chage the direction of the band by using a different vocal style. i hugly douth that if they released Waking the Fallen in 2003 and City of Evil in 2005 taht means they would have begun working on City of evil approx 2004, meaning he only had a minimum of 12 months to get vocal chord surgery recover and immediately begin singing and recording. and how abouth having a look at there tour dates.... yes im sure M shadows managed to fit in surgery whilst on tour and recording.
    TehShiz
    I don't see what the big deal is. Screaming isn't what makes a band good. And also, a band doesn't have to be amazing to like them. Personally, i think they're pretty good, and the album was also good. Nothing face melting about it, but i still listen to it. If you don't like the album, don't criticize those who do. Oh, and i laughed at the emo part too. Listen, i've heard emo, and the worst of it was a cover for some iron maiden song. I nearly cried at how badly they were ruining the song. I didn't even realize what song it was... With as happy sounding as this album can be, i don't think City of Evil has anything emo in it.
    guitarpro15
    wait wait wait. he was never a sell out. matt shadows literally had to have surgery done to his vocal chords, however there was no permenant damage, he could have decided to keep screaming if he wanted but he stated after waking the fallen that he didn't want to scream anymore, and that a new direction was needed. and that is when City Of Evil is brought in. get your ****in facts right, tit.
    How about you get some of your facts right you ****ing tithead. M. Shadows didn't have ANY surgery done. For the love of god there was no surgery done to him and his vocal chords. He just wanted to stop screaming, thats all. And for the record, this album is nowhere near emo, for **** sakes. Yet its their best album, and one of the best album's ever made.
    Warpo
    Gotta love it. I don't care if it's "true metal" or not. Good thing not having pig squeal vocals for a change. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Amon Amarth and Meshuggah also lately but A7X is playing really well too.
    zink10192
    yea but in the future if he kept screaming we would've had more problems in the future, but IM not saying hes a sellout, i was making fun of that kid cuz he believes pretty much having to have a surgery is selling out lol.
    ShadowsThatMove
    zink10192 wrote: yea xx7xx? M. Shadows is such a sellout for having a major surgery he's so gay douche bag lol. This album kicks ass in every way MIA is one of the best songs off it
    wait wait wait. he was never a sell out. matt shadows literally had to have surgery done to his vocal chords, however there was no permenant damage, he could have decided to keep screaming if he wanted but he stated after waking the fallen that he didn't want to scream anymore, and that a new direction was needed. and that is when City Of Evil is brought in. get your ****in facts right, tit.
    zink10192
    yea xx7xx? M. Shadows is such a sellout for having a major surgery he's so gay douche bag lol. This album kicks ass in every way MIA is one of the best songs off it
    Penguinblimp500
    wow in the very beggining of these comments i kept on hearing "HE BLEW A BLOOD VESSAL BLABLABLABLABLA" now its like " HE STOPED SCREAMING CUZ HE DIDNT WANT TO ANYMORE." well really he didnt want to anymore he pretended he blew a blood vessel so he has an excuse for his latest album.
    metalcoremax87
    yeah, he can still scream... zack even stated once that their vocalist "decided" to stop screaming. Which was probably a good thing because he is a much better singer than a gutterol vocalist
    ejenkins
    EMO!? "SINISTER"!? WHO WROTE THIS!!?? Seriously, stop reviewing A7X. and his vocal surgery isn't the reason shadows stopped screaming. he can still scream.
    RGshred88
    i personally dont like their music....but they are a talented bunch and they deserve respect
    AvengdMetallica
    i love avenged sevenfold, and I love this album, there are Metalcore not in your face metal like metallica is. and now way in hell they are emo, just some faggot people go out of hand and wear queer ass clothes. M. Shadows only had vocal chord surgery recently like 2-3 months ago, they had to cancel their fall tour. I really dont like the "Diamonds in The Rough" b-side cd though, the only things that are good are "Demons" "Tension" and "Walk" but walk has been out forever. I hope they will go back to "City of Evil" type of voice. I pray to God that they do Waking the Fallen vocals, but i know that wont happen. If rap wasnt mainstream because pre-pubescent fags listen to it, Avenged Sevenfold would easily be in the top 5 bands around.
    metalzrulez
    Cableguy4 wrote: (due no doubt to the singer, M. Shadows, having to have vocal chord surgery),??? this never happened, M Shadows mearly wnated to chage the direction of the band by using a different vocal style. i hugly douth that if they released Waking the Fallen in 2003 and City of Evil in 2005 taht means they would have begun working on City of evil approx 2004, meaning he only had a minimum of 12 months to get vocal chord surgery recover and immediately begin singing and recording. and how abouth having a look at there tour dates.... yes im sure M shadows managed to fit in surgery whilst on tour and recording.
    he DID have vocal surgery. in an interview he said he burst a blood vessel in his throat while screaming on the warped tour. the doctor said he would not be able to sing let alone talk if he did not get it. BUT that does not mean he doesnt scream any more on the albums because of that. its the choice of the band. they did not want to be trapped into the genre they were in. they wanted to grow and not put out out the same stuff.
    jojoxc
    Yall, lets face it, the screaming sucked. Granted I'm not a big fan of the band, but this album was alright. Not impressed with the new one though.
    Johnny1029
    Wow, Rokkec, it's finally nice to see someone whose seen the DVD and knows that they did how they did City of Evil on purpose though I disagree with one point of yours. If you've listened to Trivium's new stuff from Shogun you can tell that his screaming is different other than that of Ascendancy that is because he hasn't done it in a while so he's still getting use to the whole screaming aspect. M. Shadows, I don't believe, ever had surgery. Most of the stuff on Google is a bunch of BS anyway. If he was done screaming then why would he need the surgery when he wasn't doing it anymore anyway...exactly my point. The way he sings now is way different and wouldn't affect him to get throat surgery. I would know because I am a singer as well and my voice barely gets hoarse when doing his style of singing. Screaming does that not singing.
    Rokkec
    Okay, I had enough of this...It IS TRUE that they mention it in their dvd..that they wanted to change even before entering the studio to record City Of Evil..and even the producer mentions that in the dvd..BUT it IS TRUE that he DID FUCK UP HIS VOICE..due to all the screaming..you can clearly see or hear in their live shows..watch youtube..his voice got alot more raspier..he still sings very well, but he certainly cannot scream as he could..like when they play their old songs you can tell..he looses stamina during each song..but I`ll say this again..they are a great band, and he`s a great singer..so you can`t blame him
    XenititesX
    poop182 wrote: A7XDisturbed wrote: Cableguy4 wrote: (due no doubt to the singer, M. Shadows, having to have vocal chord surgery),??? this never happened, M Shadows mearly wnated to chage the direction of the band by using a different vocal style. i hugly douth that if they released Waking the Fallen in 2003 and City of Evil in 2005 taht means they would have begun working on City of evil approx 2004, meaning he only had a minimum of 12 months to get vocal chord surgery recover and immediately begin singing and recording. and how abouth having a look at there tour dates.... yes im sure M shadows managed to fit in surgery whilst on tour and recording. ABOUT FUCKING TIME SOMEONE IS SMART....sooo right man! Except for the fact he did **** up his voice. Haven't you heard about him being on the "American Idol" DvD? theres some dvd that they put out that helps you improve your singing, and he was on the back of the case or somewhere talking about how they helped him fix his voice after he ruined it. SO THERE! [u]"Casey Calvert always and forever
    that doesnt mean he did it by screaming. you can screw up your voice other ways too.
    Shadow_player
    acdclivewire wrote: Not real Metal.
    theyre more metal than acdc noob.This is one of the best albums...EVER
    poop182
    -But your right, no surgery :] also, why the ****k did the review for this record come up as current? WTF? I got this record like 3 years ago!
    poop182
    A7XDisturbed wrote: Cableguy4 wrote: (due no doubt to the singer, M. Shadows, having to have vocal chord surgery),??? this never happened, M Shadows mearly wnated to chage the direction of the band by using a different vocal style. i hugly douth that if they released Waking the Fallen in 2003 and City of Evil in 2005 taht means they would have begun working on City of evil approx 2004, meaning he only had a minimum of 12 months to get vocal chord surgery recover and immediately begin singing and recording. and how abouth having a look at there tour dates.... yes im sure M shadows managed to fit in surgery whilst on tour and recording. ABOUT FUCKING TIME SOMEONE IS SMART....sooo right man!
    Except for the fact he did **** up his voice. Haven't you heard about him being on the "American Idol" DvD? theres some dvd that they put out that helps you improve your singing, and he was on the back of the case or somewhere talking about how they helped him fix his voice after he ruined it. SO THERE! [u]"Casey Calvert always and forever
    A7XDisturbed
    Cableguy4 wrote: (due no doubt to the singer, M. Shadows, having to have vocal chord surgery),??? this never happened, M Shadows mearly wnated to chage the direction of the band by using a different vocal style. i hugly douth that if they released Waking the Fallen in 2003 and City of Evil in 2005 taht means they would have begun working on City of evil approx 2004, meaning he only had a minimum of 12 months to get vocal chord surgery recover and immediately begin singing and recording. and how abouth having a look at there tour dates.... yes im sure M shadows managed to fit in surgery whilst on tour and recording.
    ABOUT FUCKING TIME SOMEONE IS SMART....sooo right man!
    A7XDisturbed
    PEOPLE, why the **** does everyone say M.Shadows doesnt scream because of vocal surgery....He doesnt scream because that is what he wanted on the albums! WATCH THE FUCKING DVD ALL ACCESS!
    TrUe MeTaL FaN
    guitarpro15 wrote: wait wait wait. he was never a sell out. matt shadows literally had to have surgery done to his vocal chords, however there was no permenant damage, he could have decided to keep screaming if he wanted but he stated after waking the fallen that he didn't want to scream anymore, and that a new direction was needed. and that is when City Of Evil is brought in. get your ****in facts right, tit. How about you get some of your facts right you ****ing tithead. M. Shadows didn't have ANY surgery done. For the love of god there was no surgery done to him and his vocal chords. He just wanted to stop screaming, thats all. And for the record, this album is nowhere near emo, for **** sakes. Yet its their best album, and one of the best album's ever made.
    dude he even says he had vocal cord surgey on that all accses dvd thing..youtube it, but your rite he did just want to stop screaming