City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold have always had their own "unique" sound, with their heavy riffs and dual guitar harmonizing, and this album is by far their best work. The solos are AMAZING, the lyrics are WAILING, and the sound is AWESOME. A7X are probably one of the top 3 best bands of the 21st century as of now, and they prove it all by themselves. Syn is no doubt an excellent guitar player, from the evil and demonic Bat Country solo, to the calm, emotional Seize the Day. (Not to mention his sig. guitars are SICK!) the sound on this album sounds mean, hardcore, and heavier than rock, but not quite metal, so rock and metal fans will dig this sound. And screw everyone who says avenged sevenfold are emo! The sound is not emo, they just look emo! (Especially Zacky hahahaha)

The lyrics are not so much meaningful, as they are catchy. The lyrics on Trashed and Scattered really got in my mind, sounding like the song was going to kill me in my sleep, but it made me wore aware (and I avoided getting hit by a truck that same day. M. Shadows voice is easily recognized, and not to mention pretty good as well. But some of it sounds a lot alike, so I recommend he tries expanding his vocal range (But not like Axl Rose high though, that would be kinda freaky). But other than that I was very impressed with M. Shadow evolution from his Sounding the Seventh Trumpet screaming days. He really sounds alot better w/o it. Overall, I really like the lyrics on this album, and was happy to see M. Shadows singing. Although it could be better...

This album is one of my favorite albums ever. It turned me on to rock, and inspired me to play guitar. Now I'm in a band, writing songs and jamming daily. The best songs on the album are Bat Country, Beast and the Harlot, Seize the day, Betrayed and Trashed and Scattered. There is nothing I hate about this album (but I don't prefer the song Blinded in Chains, kind of boring to me) and I listen to it everyday, but not in it's entirety. If I ever lost this album I wouldn't sleep until I got a replacement, because it is worth the time and money. I recommend this to anyone who likes rock/metal, because you wont be disapointed in it.