City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

Avenged Sevenfold have done it again. After the release of Waking the Fallen, their status was pretty good, but they moved to AWESOME. The sound is amazing, i the harmonizing guitars are great, the drums are nice and fast, and M. Shadows is finally done screaming! Synyster Gates also does some really good solos on this album, from the emotion filled Seize the Day, to the evil Bat Country. The sound is a great blend of metal/hard rock. This album is where Avenged Sevenfold peaked, and just one listen and you can tell this is them at their best. This album is good for anyone who likes Hard Rock or Metal.

The lyrics are very well thought out and very meaningful. The best song lyric-wise would have to be M.I.A, with strong messages like "2 million soldiers can't be wrong", really make you think twice about the war we are in right now. M. Shadows also shows us his singing voice on this album, departing from his STST, WTF screaming days. And lets get it straight, he isnt the best singer, but his voice belongs in this band, and it sounds great combined with the guitars. But I do consider M. Shadows to expand his vocal range, but this works for now, and its better than screaming.

This album is AMAZING. The sound is great, and the songs are well written and thought out. I really like Waking the Fallen, and I can honestly say City of Evil is better. Its more melodic, and its pretty heavy too, but not as heavy as WTF. The best songs are definately M.I.A, Trashed and Scattered, Seize the Day, Bat Country and Beast and the Harlo. The only thing I don't like about this album is you can hardly hear the bass. Johhny Christ is a good player, and needs to be heard a little more, but other than that I REALLY liked this album. If I EVER lost it I would quickly replace it, because this album is one of my favorites by one of my favorite bands.