City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Sep 21, 2007
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,117 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

After the release of Waking the Fallen, Avenged Sevenfold's status was pretty well known, but now they're a common name around Hard Rock musicians, and they improved in their abilities to composes a great song. The sound is very nice, the harmonizing guitars are great, the drums are pounding and fast, and M. Shadows has finally quit his demonic screaming! Synyster Gates also does some really good solos on this album, from the emotion filled Seize the Day, to the evil-sounding Bat Country. The sound is a great blend of metal/hard rock. This album is where Avenged Sevenfold peaked, and just one listen and you can tell this is them at their best. This album is good for anyone who likes Hard Rock or Metal.

The lyrics are very well thought out and very meaningful. The best song lyric-wise would have to be M.I.A, with strong messages like "2 million soldiers can't be wrong", really make you think twice about the war we are in right now. M. Shadows also lets the world his singing voice on this album, departing from his previous screaming days. And let's get it straight, he isn't the best singer, but his voice belongs in this band, and it sounds great combined with the guitars. But I do consider M. Shadows to expand his vocal range, but this works for now, and it's better than screaming.

This album is very good and deserves a good listen. The sound is great, and the songs are well written and thought out. I really like Waking the Fallen, and I can honestly say City of Evil is better. It's more melodic, and it's pretty heavy too, but definitely not as heavy as their previous efforts. The best songs are definitely M.I.A, Trashed and Scattered, Seize the Day, Bat Country, and Beast and the Harlot. The only thing I don't like about this album is you can hardly hear the bass. Johnny Christ is a good player, and needs to be heard a little more, but other than that I REALLY liked this album. If I EVER lost it I would quickly replace it, because this album is one of my favorites by one of my favorite bands.