City of Evil review by Avenged Sevenfold

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
  • Users' score: 8.5 (1,118 votes)
Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil

This is the first Avenged Sevenfold album to feature no primarily screamed vocals. However the musical style is still the same and despite the change in vocals, the music is heavier. A lot of influence from previous metal bands like Iron Maiden and hints of Megadeth is used in the album and with added flare from Avenged Sevenfold, produced an amazing album. They have Fast and Furious tracks like Trashed and Scattered, Seize the day which is a slow song made up with mainly acoustic guitar and an awesome solo. Sidewinder, the seventh track starts with crunchy electric guitar and ends on a Spanish Guitar that dropped a lot of jaws.

Although each song is individually about something different, the lyrics give the listener the opportunity to think up their own story line using the ordering of the songs. The tenth song, Betrayed, is about Dimebag Darrell and his death. 'Put a bullet in his back, your hero since you were so young.' The last song M.I.A. tells the story of a soldier who is coming back from war filled with guilt after having to kill someone. 'I walk the city lonely, memories that are now passing by.' M.Shadows' vocals on this album are amazing and in small bursts, he will change the whole song's regular pattern to add something else in, in Trashed and Scattered he sings, 'Well I never bothered with all the rumours too much garbage, all the same,' in which he sings in a more melodic way than throughout the rest of the song. The only thing I am going to pick up on is at the end of M.I.A. where his voice sounds a bit weird, but other than that, he is amazing

In comparison with the other Avenged Sevenfold albums, (which are also very good) this is by far my favourite. My favourite three songs in order are Trashed And Scattered, Sidewinder and Betrayed, but the other eight song are definitely in my favourite fifty songs of all time. The thing I and other people love so much is the fact that the solos are well thought out not just constant, 'widdling,' the drumming is not just constant double kick drum throughout the whole song, and the singer has not completely abandoned screaming, as you can hear screaming in some of the backing vocals. This album is a prime example of why avenged sevenfold are not 'sell-outs.' They have kept the same sound as sounding of the seventh trumpet, in fact darker and heavier, but the singer is actually doing his job in this album, singing. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy it again.

ColdHeartedHero
    SGofawesome wrote: It can only be emo if it's extremely mainstream and sucky Examples: Green Day Fall Out Boy All-American Rejects and many others...
    you're gonna try and say Green Day? are emo? 39 year old men who dress up for stage performances and try to look fun for shows? Come back when you've grown a brain cell or two